An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Clean and Sober for 72 days free at last

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by lamy45, Oct 16, 2018.

1. lamy45

lamy45 Member

I have always had a history of drug and alcohol abuse ,it started in the 60s with Valium and alcohol ,i had severe depression and basically medicated myself for years .I got so called help in 1976 where i was treated in a mental hospital ,which involved taking me off my Valium in one day and suffering the consequences .I spent 12 weeks in that hospital and within 2 weeks i was using again . Got married had 3 children ,went on benders and always used pills to get me to work and survive .Eventually got clean and sober with mainly AA and a meeting once a week with N/A .Stayed clean for about seven years and then started to abuse Opiates as i had a lot of gut pain .

Was given 200 co-codamol pills every month by my Doc and for the first two years was ok and took them as prescribed,but the addict brain was telling me i could get a bigger hit ,long story short i was buying extra off a dealer and was addicted for seven and a half years ,tried to get help but there was a shortage of Subutex and was offered Methadone ,said no as i have to many friends on maths and cant get of . I detoxed my self with alcohol not a good idea for an Alcoholic ,but i did and was sent to a rehab after a week stint in a hospital .the rehab was good did the first step, and when i left on Tuesday the 7th of August and have been clean and sober since the 4th July when i got my own independence from Drugs and Alcohol .

I still get PAWS and wake up sometimes sweating and scratching and going thru terrible lows ,the Doc has prescribed blood thinners and blood pressure pills as i had a stroke three and a half years ago ,probably due to Cocaine use at that time .My wife is so supportive of me and this is the first time i have been clean for her in seven and a half years .I have a drug support worker and am doing trauma therapy because of my neglect and abuse as a child ,that is a tough one and i have to do a fourth step with my sponsor . I am so glad to be free and able to go places without having to see a dealer or chemist .Thanks for reading ,take care out there .
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm super proud of you, @lamy45. Seventy-two days is a great achievement. Keep doing the next right thing and taking things one day at a time. You are doing something that means a better life for you and the people you love.

Sending you tons of love, hope, and encouragement. We are here anytime you need someone to lean on, no matter what. Please know that we care and that you are not alone.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@lamy45 a very inspiring story and being a recovering addict myself I know the happiness that ensues as well as the emotional obstacles that suddenly arise once sober,you are obviously aware that these obstacles can be overcome and continuing to push forward and continuing to add sober day's little by little makes each obstacle less dramatic and the feeling you have within your heart and soul has got to feel completely amazing, or at least it does for myself. I am so happy to hear you were able to change direction before you lost your wife and family, I wasn't that lucky how ever last night I received a message from my mom,she said your step daughter called and said she is worried about you...wow I haven't heard anything from her in over a year as far as feelings of concern for me...it broke my heart and I called and spoke to her for about 10 minutes and before she hung up she said (I love you dad)those 4 word's made the past 4 year's all worth it,I hung up and cried for over 30 minutes straight. I am a man who believes in God and it wasn't money or fame I wanted I could care less about either of those thing's but the one and only thing I wanted and needed I received. I am a blessed human being just like you my friend, 72 day's sober and you still have your family. ABSOLUTELY BLESSED. STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@lamy45

Hello and welcome. Thank you so much for sharing part of your story with us. I think it's wonderful that you're clean and sober. What an inspiration to everyone reading this! I'm so glad to hear that you're working the program with a sponsor and getting treatment for trauma. You're really doing the work and that is incredible! Hope you'll keep coming here and sharing with us.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  5. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern so glad to hear you got that phone call and those beautiful words... bridges are being built back up. and yes, you are blessed and highly favored.

:)
    deanokat and True concern like this.