An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cleaning up your financial mess

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rosyrain, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I find that since I am not spending money on cigarettes or so much booze that I have been able to clean up finances better to, which is huge inspiration to me. Has anyone else had a similar discovery?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Money is a great motivating factor. I feel great never having to pay any more money on cigarettes. I used to spend around $30 per week on tobacco. That's $120 per month. I currently live and work in a third world country, and that amount of money is almost half of the average monthly income here. My perception of money has forever changed. I feel guilty when I think back to many years ago when I used to spend $200 in one night on drinks...
  3. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Oh yeah, cigarettes and alcohol can be very expensive, especially if you tend to buy a lot and on impulse. I had a friend who even wouldn't care if he's buying his beer in a mini bar in a hotel (which is usually priced 5 times higher than usual) just to give in to his late night cravings while on business trip. When he was able to eventually control his addiction, he realized that he was actually able to save up much more and he was spending his money on more worthwhile things. This alone should be a good inspiration.
  4. Rosyrain

Hotel alcohol is horribly expensive , as is when you get it on an airplane. I have never been that desperate for a drink before. I even hate going out to the bar and spending on cocktails. We would buy a couple of bottles a week and spend around $60. You multiply that out over a month and then add on the cost of cigarettes.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Saving money has probably been the biggest motivator for me during my quitting journey. I look back with so much regret over the money I have wasted in the past. I'm still paying off some of the debt I ran up back in thse days but here's not long to go now. Once all that's tied up, I'll be able to truly appreciate the savings I am making.
  6. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Drug addiction definitely takes a lot of finances to support, which even rich people have problems dealing with it! Once I eliminated by very bad habit of excessive drinking and smoking cannabis, my financial situation went from belly-up to good overnight. I still wonder how so many of my friends keep up the habit of smoking cigarettes every day despite being broke or having many bills to pay for.
  7. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

Last month, 5.6% of my income went to cigarettes. This may not seem like a lot, but it is a lot for my budget. It was way more before, but thankfully, I have been cutting back little by little for the past six months. I have been tracking my income/outcome only recently, but I have noticed a significant decrease in cigarette spending and the extra money available is definitely eye-opening. It's almost depressing considering how many important opportunities/better things/savings I missed out on while I was destroying my health.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Is the same for me. I used to smoke way more and now I only buy about a pack a week. I'm also glad that I got to cut down when I did because cigarettes just became much more expensive here so I'm basically spending about as much as I did back then but at least I'm smoking less and I don't feel the need to buy as adamantly as I used to.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Substance abuse/drug addiction don't just affect your physical/mental health, but it can also cause financial problems. As we all know, these kinds of vice are pretty expensive. And if you were able to overcome these bad habits, that's pretty good, because you are not just able to save some money, you are also leading a good and much healthier life.
  10. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Every time I will tell my husband when you are going to quit smoking? It will not only affect your health in the future and also it had been part of your everyday expenses. Sometimes we argue on this but not all the time. I calculated his expenses for cigarettes for a month and to think the money that is being spent on that can be our savings already. I try to explain to him what will be the outcome if he will quit smoking. And thanks through his own mouth he told me that this year 2015 he will quit and he do keep his promise and I am praying for this change to be forever.
  11. Rosyrain

I hope he does keep his promise to you by quitting. It feels so good when you have extra money in your pocket by quitting. My fiance and I were able to go out to 2 nice dinners this month just from the money we saved by me not smoking . It was great fun and something we could both share.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Buying into your addiction is costly. You won't notice it at first but at the end of the month when it's time to pay the rent, you're short. For some that have gone years into debt from addiction, filing for bankruptcy is a probable course of action. Start a new and on a clean slate. Who cares about the credit score. You need to start over again, fresh and new.
  13. Rosyrain

Well said Josh. Your credit score will improve over time, but you need to focus on the here and now and make sure your bills are in order. Once you can start having enough money to pay the bills, and get them paid on time, the credit score issue will work itself out.
  14. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Nobody ever feels it at first, but booze is such and expensive habit to have. Once you get to that 'sweet spot' of alcohol tolerance, one 80 proof bottle is not going to be enough. There was a time in my life when I drank almost every hour of the day. I had the ridiculous idea that I was saving money because I was pacing myself; only drinking two to three glasses an hour.