An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

clonazopam adiction pls help

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by anonia130, Feb 4, 2019.

1. anonia130

anonia130 Member

I was given it for my anxiety but now i take it alot everyday and mix it with weed and alcohol.

Is anyone out there addicted to clonazopam?rivotril to be more specific..
    If so, what changes have you noticed? like what happened to you/your body after a while?
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@anonia130 hey there. abusing clonazopam is very dangerous... like life/death....

and, it's dangerous to just stop taking it cold turkey...

i don't know you, but i value you and your life :) is there a reason you're abusing these drugs? i mean, what is the reason - of course there's a reason .....

here's an article that discusses clonazopam better: https://drugabuse.com/klonopin/clonazepam-abuse/
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@anonia130... Welcome to the community. I'm glad you reached out. I was prescribed Klonopin (another brand name for clonazepam) for anxiety several years back. And when I tried to quit, it was hell. Benzodiazepines (of which clonazepam is one) are horrible drugs, and they're only really intended for short-term use. Quitting cold turkey is dangerous. The only way to safely quit is to wean off of the drug sloooowly. It would be best to do that under a doctor's supervision, too.

You probably know this already, but mixing clonazepam with alcohol is extremely dangerous. I urge you to stop doing that immediately. I don't know what mixing it with weed does, but I'm sure it's not a good thing either. Please consider calling your doctor and telling them you want to wean off of this medication. Trust me: Your life will be much better if you do that.

FWIW, I've written about my struggle with Klonopin. If you'd like to read that piece, here's a link:

My Klonopin Nightmare: Held Hostage by a RX Drug

I'm sending you lots of encouragement and hope. Please do everything you can to get off of the clonazepam. And know that we are here to help, support, and listen.
  4. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

@deanokat klonopin is one of the only drugs I know of that can make pot deadly.
    Don't know if you can easily find that on Google anymore, but it is a fact.
    Rather I should say the the combination of the two can be lethal.
    Everyone knows you can't of on weed but you can take a borderline dose of klonopin, have a few beers and your extremely borderline...smoke some pot. You might not wake up.
    Benzodiazepines are so so so bad.
    I wish that there was a switch that you could flip like a light switch so that anyone going down the Xanax path or any of those demons...
    I wish they could flip it just on and off real quick. And they could see what a cold turkey detox fr Xanax or klonopin or valium any of them,is like.
    Its pure doom. Its so horrible I don't know how to describe it.

But people listen THE DETOX IS SO HORRIBLE IT CAN KILL YOU!
    MORE LIKELY TO DIE FROM STOPPING THAN USING!
    usually its a bad seizure that kills you. But some people have heart attacks when they stop and that is hobbit kills them (when they do it cold turkey).
    They have heart attacks because their hearts are pounding out of their chests.

Can you imagine dying of FEAR!
    cold turkey benzo detox can literally make that happen.
    I have been down this road. I was going on heart attack levels of detox stress, so they gave me a good dose of gabapentin....
    That's how I found out I'm deathly allergic to gabapentin!
    I cannot describe this in words. Just don't start. If you do or have come off under a doctors care. I'm not even gonna give a recommendation for an at home taper because I don't believe anyone should stop klonopin or Xanax or valium without medical care. Personally I went inpatient. Didn't have to but I wasn't gonna do it any other way.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  5. deanokat

Benzos are f*cking horrible. Thanks for sharing your insight and knowledge, @Joshstillclean.
    cheffy, Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.
  6. Dominica

ya'll have def made me fearful to ever try benzos for anxiety....

is there a non-addictive anti-anxiety medication that ya'll have had a good experience with?
    cheffy and Joshstillclean like this.
  7. Joshstillclean

That's a good question. And the truth is that short of chamomile tea, and some of the "relaxing herbs" that are commonly known to most everyone, the answer is no.
    For me...
    BUT! TAKE HEART!... Because there are a very few people who have discovered a different way of living in general that can provide you with natural ways to stop the stress before it even starts.
    And I have found preventative maintenance to be far more important when it comes to stress than doing something about it after it already starts.
    Basically, don't put yourself into that stressful situation to begin with. That's my best advice. And I used to tell my doctor (the one in jail) that doing that was a lot easier to say than do. He would generally laugh and say yeah, and make a hippie joke or something while writing me a prescription for 3 2mg Xanax bars a day.
    So his solution for everyday life was 100 mg of Xanax a month. My original complaint was not even really a complaint I just told him I had been a little tired lately. He said why. I said because I had been training for flying out to do some reairs on an oil rig with the company I was with at the time.
    I was doing penetration welding training. Two teams were going out on this rig in 2 helicopters with our equipment coming in on a flight the next day after we took oil rig safety.
    At the time I didn't know how severely benzos impaired you. I really had not had any prior Xanax experience.
    He said I had a couple weeks of training left to get used to the effects so timing worked out great. He also said oil rig work looked dangerous and it would not surprise him if I got some cramps and aches and pains...so he gave me an extra Percocet a day for breakthrough pain.
    I'm going into the gulf of Mexico in a helicopter and this is what I get before I go. Well my half brother was my boss and obviously my team leader and an addict. So my pills never went through a check...
    But thinking back on this I'm just like wow. This is how sh!t happens.

Anyway I got waaaayyyy off track there. But @Dominica you should check out your blog again. Because I think if anybody has a grip on getting a grip-before emotions get out of control-its you friend.
    I really have taken so much away from your advice (although when it was rough at first and you told me to breath deep its a good thing i only had one phone, because I wanted to smash it) but dang if you weren't onto something....and its real and it works.
    And you are a wonderful person to care enough about people to share this advice just because you can.
    deanokat, Dominica and cheffy like this.
  8. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

After I was through detox, getting off all the bad stuff, my doctor prescribed buspar (buspirone) for me, which is a non-addictive, non-benzo anxiety med. Easy-on, easy-off. I was on it for a couple months and it helped a bit, but not a lot for me. It does help some people though so it's maybe worth talking to your doctor about it.
    deanokat, Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.
  9. Joshstillclean

Been that route also and all,it did was relax me make me,asleepy. But then,again a lot of folks can't seems,to operate on Xanax and valium like i was doing. Those actually made me euphoric and energetic. So mabey buscar would work for a lot of people I didn't think about that one.
    Great input. I'm glad you thought about that one.
    deanokat, cheffy and Dominica like this.
  10. Joshstillclean

Ahhh, hydroxyzine. I was prescribed that. Flushed em. But I think I just have a major tolerance and they were feeding me meds that should have worked, just didn't because of my self inflicted tolerance.
    deanokat, cheffy and Dominica like this.
  11. Dominica

@Joshstillclean @cheffy thank you for your input. i had heard about buspar...they put my daughter on that and i think she still takes something like that (even after all my talks about trying more natural things).

i have created a life where i don't have a ton of stress. so, my anxiety levels are pretty low. i am working on bettering my communication skills face-to-face lately. that brings me anxiety, so other than my meditation and breath work, i figured i'd take a season to learn what i can.... i can write so effortlessly and have lots to say that way, but in person sometimes i struggle. or avoid contact with people.

now, plane rides. that is where i have great anxiety. i want to get over that fear. i've flown maybe 5 times... took xanax (half a pill) before three of those flights and well, not sure they did much. i actually asked my dr. to prescribe me 3 pills (6 flights) and she did. i am working on self-hypnosis for this b/c i want to TRAVEL. and driving is no picnic these days...

my partner takes ashwaganda... not sure that does anything for me. i take vitamins and such...

i am working on it :)

thank you for the comment about my blog. it is something i work on now and then and i'm glad it helps others!

have a beautiful day!
    Joshstillclean, deanokat and cheffy like this.
  12. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I kind of have a problem talking to others in person too. I'm pretty shy in person, but not so much when I write. I prefer to write, just because I can sit back and think through what I'm writing, make modifications, and then read it a final time to make sure that's what I want to say. Sometimes I think I want a script for something like xanax, but after thinking about what I've been through, I say 'no way!', and I am proud to be able to do so. There's no way that I can get a script like that anyways with my history. The other option for me to communicate is music. I'm not shy at all on stage when I'm playing or talking to an audience - I actually feel like I get high from performing, which is really kind of nice.
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  13. deanokat

@Dominica... I took ashwagandha for a few months. It seemed to help at first, but then I didn't really feel like it was doing anything. It could be that its effectiveness in the beginning was all in my head. I'm not sure. But I stopped taking it.
    Joshstillclean likes this.