An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Coca Cola addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by GenevB, Aug 9, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Has anyone here experienced anything like this? I started recently buying coke because it's very hot outside and a coke along a cigarette it's the perfect combination. The bad thing is that after a few days, about 3 or 4 I started craving for this beverage. Of course I did stop after I read on the internet all the harm it does and I never really got to a point that it was hard to come back, but I would still drink one or two. What do you think about this? Is this beverage really addicting because of the amount of sugar it contains and caffeine?
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I also got addicted to coke. What is worse is that I got addicted to it while pregnant. My due date was during summer so imagine just how hot it is and I was pregnant so the heat was doubled. Of course, I did not drink it everyday. But whenever I get to drink it, I felt this high feeling lol. The problem is that once you start you cannot stop. I guess the phosphoric acid which gives coke its tangy flavor plus the sweetener and caffeine in it makes it addictive.
  3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

With all the stuff food companies put in their gods and drinks I wouldn't be surprised if they add things that make it addictive. I like coca cola but what I really like is Squirt. 7 up would be second. The last time I had bad asthma I was given at least 3 liters of pop and drank that within a matter of days. Let's just say I won't be doing that again. My sides felt bad.
  4. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

It's possible to become addicted to nearly anything. I think it's the caffeine and the sugar that makes a coke habit hard to kick. A friend of mine recently kicked his caffeine habit, he was drinking about 6 redbulls a day, in addition to coffee and soda. He experienced headaches that he compared to migraines. He ended up having to slowly wean himself off the caffeine instead of doing it cold turkey because he could barely function.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I remember when I was in high school at the vending machine a can of coke was around a $1.00 so it was kind of cheap and would get a couple, and drink a can a day or a few times a week especially when it is cold and nice taste in the mouth. There was a woman in New Zealand in Invercargill who used to drink 6 to 10 liters a day and it took her life in the end and was only 30 years old and the family would buy the bottles and she had mood swings from the addiction. This goes to show that you need to be moderate in drinking this sort of drink since they have caffeine and a lot of sugar in them and are not really that good for the health of the body and can be hard to withdraw from it.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think that there can be addictions to many substances and soda is one of them. I know plenty of people that honestly seem like they can't get through the day without coke - and it seems hard for them to try and stop or even lessen the amount they drink.
  7. GenevB

How does his heart still beats? I mean, how could you ever make a habit out of drinking 6 red bulls a day, in addition to coffee and soda, and still keep you heart beating.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I know people who are addicted to soda. They have to have it! They will drink 12 or more cans a day of the stuff. The first thing they do when they get out of bed to grab a can of soda and if they don't have it, they become irritable and can't stand to be around anybody. Soda can be a big addiction and it can do a lot of damage to your health.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

That is one expensive addiction. I wonder if her teeth were horrible because of the acid in the pop.
  10. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I actually know quite a few people who drink them in excess like that. It's nearly impossible to overdose on caffeine. It can't be good for your heart in the long term.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never been addicted to coke or any other soft drinks. But there are times when I seem to have a craving for it. I knew someone who had coke addiction before and she got health problems because of that. Good thing she is now over it.
  12. MoneyFiend

MoneyFiend Member

I found myself in the habit of buying a 550ml V energy drink every morning. It lasted possibly two months before I realised that negative side effects would soon follow. Regardless of that realisation, it was the cut into my finances is what caused me stop buying them.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

6-10 liters a day is a LOT. I just cannot imagine her sugar level and weight with the amount of coke she drank. I am sorry to know that she died and worse, she died because of an addiction. I hope many people learn from her story. That is drinking excessively and no benefit can stem from that. Even if she lived longer, her health would be suffering.
  14. GenevB

I wonder how that women looked and looks now, she's probably like a skeleton if she's still alive.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

You can easily stop taking coke and start taking other beverages. Make sure that you mix your beverage brands so that you do not start craving for one brand again. You can also avoid such beverages and start taking fruit juice. Fruit juice has a lot of vitamins than most beverages.
  16. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

Everything's about moderation though, fruit juice has a lot of sugars so that too can be bad if you drink too much of it. I hate drinking water. I had a serious iced tea addiction cause I grew up drinking only iced tea. After I moved out of my parents house I don't drink it nearly as much as I used to. I drink a lot of juice and Gatorade now. Still a lot of sugar but I've definitely cut down on my caffeine intake daily.
  17. shenika

shenika Member

I know a lot of people that are experiencing coca cola addiction, i believe its the caffeine in that beverage that is causing this addiction, the best way to over come it is to switch from drinking soda and start by drinking fruit juice after awhile the addiction will wear off, but if you decide to start back consuming coca cola you should try using it 1 a week the most to lessen the chances of addiction.
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it is addictive. The good thing is it isn't as addictive as in the past. It was rumored that there were drugs in this stuff before. They say the recipe changed over the years. I don't mind a coke every now and then, but wont let it be a habit.
  19. GenevB

I remember about that, I've had a few friends who said they were really addicted to that a few years ago, I never really knew what it was like until a few weeks ago, I don't really know about those "drugs" ingredients, but it's good that they changed them.
  20. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When I was younger I admit that I like drinking coca cola. But now that I am not getting any younger and is already health conscious I stopped drinking any kind of sodas. Yes it is true that it is very refreshing to drink cold coca cola. But we should remember that regular intake of this is not good for our health.