An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine and alcohol

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by GettingBetter, Nov 12, 2015.

1. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

This combination really worries me, because the only times I've been to parties and events with coke, there was always a lot of drinking going on too. I always read that it is such a dangerous combination and to practice harm reduction you should only do one of these at a time. But I can't even imagine a situation where someone is doing coke and not drinking too? It just doesn't seem to be the way things work out in reality.

What do you think? It scares me a bit but this must be one of the most common party combinations out there. Are there really people that separate drinking and drugging?
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

The alcohol and drug combination is usually only at parties. So, addicts tend to only do the drug of their choice. People doing it at parties aren't usually addicts, just people trying to have fun. It is really dangerous, and with unexperienced users who are already drunk, overdosing is easy.
  3. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I agree it's more prevalent at parties. I knew an old friend that did the drinking and taking coke at a party at the same time. It is very dangerous, and I wish people realized this and would stay away from both.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Mixing those two actually creates a whole new drugs in your system called cocaethylene.
    When I was using, I never just drank or just did coke, it was ALWAYS the two because one on it's own didn't feel good enough.
    Wasn't just at parties, it was everywhere all the time.
    Jasmine2015 likes this.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

That's the only way I'd do coke, if I was drinking. I never liked doing coke by itself. It kind of made me jumpy. I liked doing coke while drinking, because it kept you sober. I could drink a couple of bottles of whiskey, and coke would keep me standing up.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I seriously doubt it. Cocaine and alcohol use is probably more common than anything with the powder kind. I've seen people do that too it's like it goes hand in hand. When I was younger I knew someone that always had a beer or something if he wasn't snorting coke. I couldn't try it because I was scared to put anything up my nose, getting high that way seems crazy to me. I couldn't grasp the idea of snorting something through your nostrils and getting high.
  7. sefirozu

sefirozu Member

My major issue with mixing coke and booze is that since you're able to drink way more than usual, you're going to be in for a terrible hangover. Now, if you binge like this for days, it's not only the hangover which should worry you, but also the damage you're causing to your liver, and the rest of your body in general, since probably you won't be eating very much either. On top of that, in this state you won't be making the best decisions of your life.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think one of the worrying aspects is that people that wouldn't normally take any drugs after a few beers will be more open to it, as its the alcohol that influences your decision making.

There aren't many people I know that will take coke, without having a alcoholic drink aswell and in a lot of cases they do go hand in hand.
  9. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

It's a dangerous game. If you drink, you will be more prone to doing coke as @pwarbi mentioned. But if you are high on cocaine, you just want to drink more and more, and you won't feel a thing, but it still affects your system really badly. It's a sure way to blackout and lose total control, for one.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I never knew this created a new drug in your system. If a person was to do crack, how long would they have to wait to drink alcohol in order to avoid complications? I would also worry about the people doing crack when they already have to take medication for something.
  11. artyarson

artyarson Active Contributor

This can become a fatal mix.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, this is often practiced during parties, but yeah, it can happen anywhere, and anytime. And I agree, cocaine mixed with alcohol is pretty dangerous.
  13. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Never, but never combine alcohol with drugs... I remember that a now-gone long-lasting friend of mine used to do this combination, and this is what brought death upon him. I don't advise you to try it, it's just a lethal dose you're taking the risk yourself.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that it seems common that alcohol and drugs are used together. I am guessing that alcohol comes first and then when they are drunk or in the influence of alcohol, they have courage to use illegal drugs.
  15. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that people can easily mix these two together like in the movies which can look amazing like in the Scarface movie or the Blow movie with Johnny Depp, the use of drugs look nice and can influence the younger people who can think it is nice and should try it out like other people who may use it. I think that some people can be influenced very easily and it can affect the mind which can move them forward in their life and also, I reckon that drugs can affect the body and use of money can be used for these things and the body can go out of control later on. It can take time to make changes or get away from the drugs which can be a good thing for the person and the ones around them who are affected by the actions of the person taking drugs like cocaine and drinking alcohol.
  16. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Alcohol and cocaine is a common combination indeed, and the result of it is worse than the one you would get if you just used just cocaine or just alcohol.
  17. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Did coke once when i drank and it was nuts but not quite my thing. Ill stick to booze.
  18. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My husband does both and I worry about him. He just does it at home when I am not around. He drinks when I am around but I have never seen him use coke but I know that he does. I can tell the difference in him when he does both. He thinks I don't know but for me it is easy to tell. I worry about his health from the combination.
  19. lmilic

lmilic Member

Believe me, if you take the couch and drink alcohol itmeans you want to have fun, but if you find yourself taking cocaine in the middle of the day you have a problem, there is nothing wrong with drinking and taking it, cocaine is really the best thing to be mixed with alcohol