An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine Cravings Can Be Zapped With Magnets

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Rainman, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

According to a study, "magnetic stimulation" treatment is somewhat effective at helping cocaine addicts beat the addiction by reducing cravings.

http://www.technologyreview.com/new...icts-treatment-with-magnets-may-stop-craving/
    This should be some good news for those who think they can't beat a cocaine addiction.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is wonderful news. Thanks for sharing.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow, this is really a good medical discovery. This would somehow bring positivity to cocaine addicts who badly want to change their lives for the better now.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon this may work and hope that it is available around the world and it can be used to treat people who have drug addictions and lives can be saved in the process it is interesting to see the advancement of technology and medicine in today's world which can be viewed as advancement in society, and more can be done for people and techniques can be used to save the lives who are struggling. It will be interesting to see what the cost will be of this treatment and should be cheaper so people don't have to worry about money, as usually when these sort of treatments occur the cost of money is a big issue and can stop people from seeking treatment. This will make people with a desire for cocaine to fight it and even not want it anymore like the man in the article he only did seven sessions and he was cured of his need for the drug.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Awesome! I cold never imagine that magnets could do that! Just amazing! I wonder if this magnet therapy could work with other addictions? I have heard that magnets are used in many other areas of alternative medicine, but I never imagined they could work for this as well. Just amazing!
  6. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Anything that can help will help.
    I was skeptical at first, but reading that it seems to have some truth!
    Could just be the placebo effect, but anything that helps will help!
  7. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Great to see, but the source you've laid out here doesn't seem really trustworthy... but if this is true, I'm really happy for those who are still addicted and have found absolutely no way of quitting. Thanks for sharing!
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is very interesting. I've heard that magnets have healing benefits like for joints and pain. This is something they should look into, it would be a major breakthrough if it works. I'll have to look into this and see what progress they make with this idea.
  9. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Magnetic Stimulation of parts of the Brain is a treatment primarily for depression and schizophrenia. Since the whole cocaine addiction thing is closely related to depression and is itself a mental disorder, it's understandable that the therapy can be used to combat cocaine addiction. Anyways, this is pretty interesting, because if it proves to be successful (it's still in its very primitive stages from what I've gathered) we will have the first effective treatment for cocaine addiction in our hands. And that is truly an awesome news!
  10. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Sometimes all it takes is the power of belief. Just as most psychosomatic illnesses are caused by or have their origin in the mind the same case applies to healing and indeed by extension, recovering from addictions. Sometimes all it takes to uncover a potential remedy for a nagging condition is critical observation and a knack to experiment out of the box.
  11. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I wonder what the magnet stimulation feels like. What parts of the body do they stimulate and does it matter? It's always good to hear positive new ways to combat addiction.
  12. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Well, I guess that any news like that is surely welcome news. However, I am wondering about the rate of success. Will it work for everyone that is exposed to this type of therapy? Is it suspected that there may be factors which will diminish its possible effectiveness? I am not seeking to discount this intervention, I am only hoping that it may become a meaningful solution to a grave problem.
  13. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I am all for alternative treatments if they show promise and have worked. I hope that more research is put into this type of treatment for other drugs. It sounds like it would be much easier on the body than taking methadone for heroin addicts.
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Whatever works I guess. Well, I'm still a bit skeptical about this. But if there would be positive results, I'm all for it. I hope that more research will be done for this. If this works, it will be a breakthrough.
  15. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Ah, some great news....:D
    Let's see how well it rolls out. The worst part of an addiction is the cravings, overcoming it would mean that most of the addiction is gone.