An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine Culture in the early 20th century?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by changingcups, Jan 27, 2015.

1. changingcups

changingcups Member

In movies and tv shows you always see people using cocaine much more casually. Was it legal back then or have I just been watching a certain kind of film?
  2. Morgan

Morgan Member

I believe cocaine was legal a couple of centuries ago and it was banned only when it became a social hazard. In any case, movies glamorize substances in a subtle fashion. That is one of the reasons why teens get addicted to it so early.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Cocaine was legal in the United States until 1914! Prior to that, it was marketed as a cure-all and was very popular. In fact, how do you think Coca Cola got it's name? At one point, cocaine was an ingredient! Here's an interesting advert from back then:

2.jpg
    henry likes this.
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Cocaine is still Lawful in certain countries around the world, but regarding the U.S. it was made into a Legal Statute as a only to be prescribed by doctors drug before Alcohol Prohibition was enacted, and subsequently became less prescribed prior to the U.S. Great Depression until it became totally illegal. Pure cocaine is known as the rich-man's high and most users during the early 20th century were from the U.S.A. and Europe, which this is still the two biggest markets for the drug. However, illegal does not mean unlawful in Common Law nations, just a tip for those who are interested.

Crack-cocaine is the really ugly monster, because it's watered and mixed down with baking soda drug which is then heated until it becomes cake-like - users heat it on glass pipes or makeshift pipes and smoke it.
  5. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Wow! You learn something new everyday! I was aware it used to be in Coca Cola products, but I did not realize how positively viewed it once was. Not only that, but as a supplemental cure! I am stunned.
  6. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

You have just been watching a certain kind of film because cocaine was never legal and I don't think it will ever be made legal for good reasons. Cocaine is not a natural substance and therefore it being illegal is justified base on the negative impacts it has.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It was viewed as a cure for some health problems but soon the negative side started showing and than it was decided it is not safe to use this as there is more harm than good. In movies it shows the way it works and also, how it can change a person who relies on it and the face or body can change to a not so good looking one in a short time frame. Cocaine, if made legal would be flowing in each country and city and people would think it is a escape of problems and this will take them away from them in fact the problem is there not gone away.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It was originally used in its preprocessed form by indigenous cultures to help get through the work day. It wasn't in powder form it was organic. They use to chew on the cocoa leaves and it gave the chewer more energy to do back breaking activities.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Cocaine was actually legal in the US until 1914. Additionally, it is a natural substance - it is obtained from the leaves of the coca plant. Check Wikipedia if you don't believe it! All drugs were legal when they were first discovered - it takes legislation to ban something.
  10. cheeto

cheeto Member

Coke was not only legal but used and occasionally prescribed for medical afflictions. If you see a cowboy in a movie using coke it's supposed to be as casual as someone taking an alka seltzer for heartburn.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think like what's already been said, everything at some point was legal, it's only when it becomes detrimental to society that it gets looked at closely and made either legal or illegal.

Cocaine is more accepted these days that what it's been in a long time though for some reason. It's probably the 2nd most used drug behind marijuana these days.
  12. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Like everyone has said, there didn't use to be any known bad side effects to the consumption of cocaine, so it was legal everywhere, and for everyone. I don't actually see how it was any good, health wise, given the high risks you expose yourself at for consuming even a minuscule quantity. But of course... there might have been noticeable differences between what you see today and what there actually used to be.
  13. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Probably the negative effects of cocaine to our health wouldn't be known in a vast scale by that time of early twentieth century. So I guess the state and the police wouldn't care too much about the ones using or selling cocaine anyway.
  14. henry

henry Community Champion

Yep, it was legal. I remember reading that Freud loved it, and used to prescribe it to his patients. I got this little quote from the net: Nearly 130 years ago, cocaine was the world’s newest wonder drug - touted as a cure for everything from morphine addiction to tuberculosis. And its biggest supporter was Sigmund Freud.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Just Hollywood hogwash. Yes most drugs were actually legal before the 1900's or slightly after.
    But they do it casually in the movies like they do other crazy illegal things like dangerous driving and shooting people.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've always been a bit of a history nerd, and knew about the Coca-Cola side of things, so it was interesting to see the little advert you posted about cocaine. Amazing to see that it was marketed as a bit of a one-stop-shop for curing so many things. I guess it does make me wonder what substances from nowadays (if any!) will be prohibited down the line, in 50 or 100 years?