An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine = no pain?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by moverqaws, Jul 7, 2015.

1. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know someone who has used cocaine and it has caused the person to feel high and also they think they can't feel pain which may give them false hope, in most instances and this can make them feel like they are superhuman at times. Cocaine can make someone think that they can rush into a wall or hit an object and not feel pain at that time, but the next day the effects could be there, and that can be painful for the person who will feel it for a long time. It can be scary for the ones around them who may be worried about the person who is high, and they think they will injure themselves in the process.
  2. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

It temporarily numbs the area to which it's applied, like my nose, throat, mouth, etc. would always go numb, and it's EXTREMELY numbing emotionally, too. All of those bad feelings tend to go away for awhile.

Now, if you're talking about using it to self medicate, please don't.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It numbs the pain, but only on the spot you apply it and it is NOT a painkiller. Do not, by any means, use cocaine to get rid of pain, because it is really dangerous. Instead, so some exercises and eat clean, and that should help with it.

Oh, nice, rhyme, by the way.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Cocaine is a local anesthetic and was previously used by dentists and in the medical field. More recently, other anasthetics are being used instead, although they are not much different. Local anasthetics will block out physical pain but only for a very short period of time, literally only up to about ten minutes at the most. For example, I have snorted cocaine and I have smoked cocaine and I have also had to attend hospital and have five injections of local anasthetic into a nasty wound on my hand. The sensation after it had been injected felt very much like the sensation that runs through your body after smoking cocaine but not so much the sensation from snorting it. However, it really does only last for a very short time which is why I ended up having to have five injections in total while they glued and stitched my hand back up.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I never took cocaine before, but people have said it makes you numb. Like the saying I can't feel my face, is used to describe the numbness for snorting coke. I figure if your numb from something you won't feel any pain. Of course this is only temporary. If someone is high and punches thru a glass window they may not feel it right then, but when there high comes down the pain will be very real.
  6. knitmehere

You're exactly right @Tsky45 and a cocaine high does not last very long at all, so that numbness is very short-lived.
  7. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Cocaine and other drugs do take sensibility away from us, namely the capacity to feel pain, but this is not necessarily a good thing, quite the opposite in fact because our body becomes helpless.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

@knitmehere The fact that the high is very short lived may be why it's so addictive. This is why people say they feel like there just chasing the same high. I do believe there are harder forms of this drug also, like powder and crack. I think this may have been the worst thing that has happened in urban environments. Thanks for your input.
  9. oportosanto

I think we have all been there. When we are high we feel like god, like we have visions or we feel illuminated, we feel superior, but at the end of the day we are frying our brain and destroying our bodies.
  10. knitmehere

That's exactly what I miss so much about it. I miss feeling like I'm on top of the work and like nothing else can touch me. Like they say, you're never going to feel as good as you did that first time.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's basically the same for most drugs. They have a numbing effect on one's senses after constant use. Excessive drug use destroys brain cells and nerve endings. Hence, the person ends up doing things beyond his better judgment. His behavior is altered and he does things that hurt himself and not just others.
  12. oportosanto

Well saying that we miss it will not help much I think because those were not good days, it was something artificial that was destroying our life, I don't think we should look at it missing it!
  13. knitmehere

Whether it not I should miss it, I still do. That's not worth denying in my eyes. I think it's best to admit that you do. You can't get over a problem if you don't admit that you still have that problem.
  14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

So doctors are still using cocain as a type of anesthetic? The last time u has to get anesthetic was when I had to go to the dentist for cavities. I hope to never have cavities again due to fear of those huge needles. Definitely go to the doctor as pain can be a symptom of something large going on in the body.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Cocaine is still used as a painkiller so in that respect it can cause a feeling if numbness. Having taken cocaine in the past though, I have to admit I'd never noticed that side effect, but what I did notice is that it can cause a sense of lack of emotion.
  16. oportosanto

I imagine that using cocaine as a painkiller is something totally different than having it to get high, the way it's taken and the dosage I mean. I do think it's a substance that doesn't bring us anything good.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Recreational use is indeed very different from having it in a medical sense, for one thing it's going to be used by a professional so it's not a case of you self medicating.

In a way its the same as medical marijuana and it will be used to help and control, not in a way to get high.
  18. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well yes, it is in the opiate family, along with morphine and heroin so it probably does have those effects..but it is not advisable to take it certainly. I mean do you want to get addicted to it. I am not sure why it would be used in dental and eye surgery...but if it works...I guess that is why.
  19. oportosanto

I think those are things from the past, cocaine was used in pre-historic medicine and the consequences are obvious, it did worse than helped. How many other drugs used today have the same or similar effect?
  20. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

In its class of drugs, cocaine isn't the go-to choice of painkiller, as certain derivatives produce greater and longer lasting numbing effects. But yes, cocaine does have a certain anesthetic quality which acts in the location to which it is applied.