An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine & Peer Pressure

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by irishrose, Nov 13, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

When asked why they started using cocaine, 55% of teenage users reported they started due to pressure from their friends. (Source: http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/crackcocaine/what-dealers-will-tell-you.html) Many drug dealers know that teens are struggling to fit in, so they will approach the teen as though they are helping them out as a friend by making cocaine available to them.

Has this happened to you or someone you know? Did you or someone you know start cocaine due to peer pressure, or other reasons?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have never known anyone to try cocaine due to peer pressure, it always seemed to be a personal choice (although I cannot say the same for other substances). It does seem to be a lot more common amongst youngsters these days although, in my area, most cocaine users are in their late thirties or early forties, so it doesn't seem to affect the younger generation so much as the older generation who supposedly have been led to cocaine through their use of other milder substances over the years. As for peer pressure, if this is true, then why did those peers start using cocaine in the first place if they are the ones putting the pressure on their peers? Was the same done to them first? And if so, why did those people start using? Someone has to start using first, for whatever reason, before then putting pressure on their peers to try it. It cannot be a cycle - there has to be an origin or a way for it to start.
  3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

This just comes to show how important who you make as your friends truly is. If you are dealing with someone that influences you to do things that will have dire consequences then you need to question the friendship. Drug abuse does not do anyone any good and can cause you to lose good friends. Though each generation may have their own reasons for why they do coke.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

When I was younger, nobody ever approached me out of the blue with cocaine and attempted to get me hooked. Where on earth do stories like this come from?

There was no peer pressure for me, someone just offered me some one day. Then, I starred buying it every now and then, which soon turned into a regular thing. Nobody pressured me into it at all.
  5. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I first started drinking when I went to a slumber party. I was pressured to try taking a shot and I loved when I felt drunk. It was so much fun and it helped me not to be shy. It was great, but the hangover was not that great.
  6. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Yeah this definitely happens! The first time I tried it I was at a party and someone begged me to do it with them. I was hesitant but I wanted to have fun with them too so I tried it. A lot of users want someone to do it with them so they won't feel bad about their choice, or want it to appear to just be a social thing, or just because they like to talk a lot when they are high! I don't know that it's dealers doing it so much as addicts wanting to make friends that will overlook their using.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't know if anyone would use cocaine because of peer pressure. This isn't the type of drug to play with. I think that when people didn't know what this could do to you peer pressure was an issue. I know I would never use anything I don't want to use. I would hope that a person could realize this is not a game you want to play to impress friends.
  8. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I know the peer pressure comes in when things like weed, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. are involved... but I've literally never heard of anyone being pressured into cocaine. I'm sure that it happens, but most cocaine addicts don't want to get someone else hooked. They don't want other people to know. They don't want people to share.

It was a personal choice for myself. I've spoke to both my boyfriend and my best friend about it (who have struggled with the same addiction), and they both made that choice on their own as well without influence from anyone else.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, the first time I tried cocaine it was like that. Me and a group of friends got together in a house, but I didn't know the person who lived there. We were having some drinks and stuff, when the owner of the house started offering coke to everyone. At first, I said no. But once I had a couple of drinks, I wasn't afraid anymore, so I tried it.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It never happened to me but I do agree that peer pressure is one of the common reasons why someone would be using an illegal drugs. Not just in cocaine but in all other stuffs, peer pressure could be a main cause of increasing users. That is why it is important for teens to be well guided that it is okay to say NO on those things.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It's not cocaine on my end though. I have never tried cocaine before, but the first time I have tried alcohol was when I was sort of pressured by my peers. Although I was pretty curious back then, I think it was still my friends who really influenced me to drink. I am not putting the blame on them though.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

Peer pressure is the main cause of addiction. One may feel that his friends might separate from him if he does not take cocaine. Availability of cocaine is another factor that contributes to the rise in number of cocaine addicts. It will be cheaper when it is easily available than when it is not.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know a few people who have taken this drug due to peer pressure and were hanging around the wrong crowd which caused them to make the wrong choices and taking this gave them a feeling they need it, and also they could be like a new person in their life due to this and use it few times a week. It is interesting to see what the dealers can do to get someone to smoke the drug and the person may feel like they need it to cope in their life, and can very easily lose control of their life in the process. I have seen the results of taking this drug and people can lose their friends and also their family which can cause stress to the mind, and make the person think about what has occurred and hope they can fix the issues which have been causing stress.
  14. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

My girlfriend's best friend uses coke, recreationally. It sometimes causes a weird dynamic, because although my GF is adamantly against using any drugs (wouldn't even enjoy weed when I offered), her friend can be very persuasive. Plus in our line of work (we are in the entertainment industry) it's not exactly uncommon. We're steeling ourselves now to become hyper-vigilant in resisting social pressure.
  15. ChaseHayden

ChaseHayden Member

Two of my closest friends a year back started using cocaine. They were offered bumps at a surprisingly good amount of bars around the busier downtown area where we live. It was entirely without a doubt social pressure, being very fresh on the scene at twenty-one. It does have a tremendous effect, especially these days considering it's nearly impossible to detect some of the things used to cut. Very rapidly, I noticed social changes in them instantly, the bar visits became more frequent, the money went a lot faster, they became dependent after only a few weeks, and became needy and unjust. Within a few months their whole lives were fish-tailing.. This does effect everybody differently, but man, the risks associated with the use of cocaine have undoubtedly increased, it doesn't seem to be worth it.
  16. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Nothing to be pressured about in what concerns cocaine, to be honest. Everyone I've known till know seems to have taken cocaine due to purely personal choices. In other words, nobody forced them to do it, and even if it happened, they were reticent to try. Cocaine's not really the same as weed's psychological peer pressure, to be honest.