An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine Vaccine

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Rainman, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I read about it back in 2013 or thereabouts.

A vaccine was being designed. A vaccine that would trigger the immune system to create anti-bodies against cocaine. The anti-bodies would eat up the cocaine before it got to the brain making it impossible for anyone using cocaine to get "high." At that time it has been tested on mice but it wasn't known yet whether the vaccine would be effective when used on humans.

Have any of you heard of this vaccine? Was it even made?
  2. sefirozu

sefirozu Member

I heard about it some years ago. It could certainly be done. This is very similar to the way varenicline works. You may know it by its brand name, Chantix. It blocks the receptors in the brain that receive nicotine, and even if you smoke, you feel absolutely nothing. I've used it, and the sensation is very strange.
  3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Making vaccines for drug addictions? I am always learning something new here. Would you be injected with the vaccine once or would you have to do it multiple times? Is there any idea on how much this is going to cost and whether or not most insurances would cover this? I would like to know how this development goes once done on humans.
  4. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I've never heard of it, but like anything else I don't think it would do any good unless the addict really wanted it to. If they were forced to take it and still wanted to find that high, they would just move on to another drug.
  5. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I've never heard of this, but it sounds a bit odd. I don't see how a vaccine would prevent someone from putting something harmful into their body. It'd be a miracle if a vaccine could prevent the harmful effects of drugs, but I'll believe it when I see it.
  6. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I've never heard of this. I'm not sure I get why persons would want it. The only reason people take cocaine is to get high. So unless it's going to like a vaccine parents give their kids when they are young.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Those are much my thoughts, too. I had never heard of it, but I feel like it would really be a Band-Aid fix if you're not getting to the root cause of the problem. Like you said, if cocaine was essentially "immune" from getting that high, I think an addict would just move onto something else if they couldn't get what they wanted from cocaine.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I've never heard of this but have heard of similar things. My doctor also once told me that there are certain prescribed medications which block certain receptors in the brain and therefore counteract the high from certain substances. There was one medication I was prescribed in the past which was supposed to counteract the effects of amphetamines and marijuana.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

If the vaccine could stop the person from getting high, would it stop them from wanting to? The whole point of recovery is not wanting to use the drug your addicted to anymore. Vaccines are supposed to be used to remove viruses from the body not cure addictions. Addictions have more to do with the brain then anything else. They probably never made this, realizing it would be useless.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've also never heard of anything like this either, and while in theory it does sound like a good idea, in practice I'm not sure if it would work or not.

Sometimes the actual cures or vaccines can be more lethal than what it is it's trying to cure in the first place so while science is a wonderful thing, it can also be very dangerous aswell.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Interesting!
    This could be very useful for people who really want to stop using, but cannot for one reason or another.
    It's like in Russia how they now have drugs that either stop your from getting drunk or they can make you sick if you have even a drop.
    Addiction is powerful, we need a full toolkit to deal with it.
    The more diverse tools we have the better equipped we will be.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I'm not saying it won't work, for some people it might be the only chance they have of being able to quit, but I'd certainly explore every other option.

Using a vaccine to stop an addiction for me should be looked on as a last resort. A final way to try and get clean when other attempts may have already failed.
  13. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

That was my thought process as well. If an addict still wants to get high, they will. No amount of vaccines and pills will change that.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never heard of it and it is my first time to read something about it. It will be really nice if it have been proven safe for humans and effective. These kind of drugs could be a cure for the addiction since some do need medication.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have never heard about it, but to be honest it sounds quite promising, but... for what kind of people would this kind of vaccine be recommended? I guess some groups might be more prone to that kind of thing, but whom exactly? I couldn't help to wonder that. I would personally prefer a cancer vaccine, but oh well.
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have heard of it before, but only a little. The idea is interesting, but it can't be very effective. When users will see that they do not get high from it, they will become frustrated and want more and more, in order to feel the drug. I can't deny that it may work for some, but not for so many.
  17. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I have heard of something similar available for alcohol that makes it not work the same way. I think they can work only for people who are already really committed to their sobriety. It can be another tool for someone, but I don't think it will work on its own.
  18. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

First time I hear about that vaccine. That could save lots of lives if used properly. I hope some day it will come into circulation.
  19. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that it is interesting to see what a vaccine do when a person needs the help which can make a person relieved when they have the right medicine which can make them do more in their life and it will take time for this vaccine, to go to other areas of the country and other countries as well which will make the families happy of the person. I hope the developers research it well and price it so that people can afford it and reckon that we need to keep an eye out when it comes to the stores and it is sold at the ones which are approved otherwise it can be sold by the black market and a cheap quality sold and not worth the price. The user of cocaine may use this vaccine for some time and then quit so it can be hard to know what they will do when they stop using it as the vaccine may work or may not work which can cause problems for the mind and make them moody.
  20. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

I'm pretty sure I heard about it as well. The issue is that developing these things always takes many years, then they have to be trialed and only then they are available for general use. It would be a great idea that would really help recovering addicts.