An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine vs. Marijuana

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by MrAmazingMan1, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I agree with this. The fact that they're already distributing illegal substances and putting them out there on the streets is disgusting enough as it is, let alone mixing it in with other substances to weigh it down and get people addicted. They are already doing wrong. Essentially, it comes down to greed, selfishness and a lack of empathy/guilt/conscience.
    True concern likes this.
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I didn't say that. I wasn't saying that tobacco is the most dangerous drug. I was giving my stance on how harmful I think it is.

If you really want to start picking and choosing drugs to compare, I can give you a list of natural drugs that are much more harmful than a lot of synthetic drugs. Datura and many other plants in the Solanaceae family, tobacco, and opiates are a good start.
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

What is the difference between danger and harm, though?
  4. Matthodge1

Exactly. They are making a quick buck at the expense of everyone they are selling their product to. It's pretty disgusting, if you think about it.
  5. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

What the exact amount is; can be anybody’s guess. However as most folks here I do agree that neither is good for us and cocaine is much more addictive than weed. It is so much worse in more ways than one. I have witnessed many folks addicted to either or both; none of it is good for them. However those addicted to coke will go to mighty extremes to get their next fix. They will lie, steal, cheat, get violent and spend their last penny on it. A weed smoker is not near as likely to do any of those things just to get a more weed.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Sparkster, I haven't seen someone yet that takes cocaine and has that "meth" look. Maybe they really have to take it for many years before they get to look like that. And those dealers that tamper the drugs that they sell are quite unscrupulous than the regular "honest" dealer. Marijuana is weed and leaves, how can they place crack in it?
  7. Rob93FL

I didn't say that there was a difference. I was trying to point out that I didn't say it was the most dangerous drug, rather that it was one of the most dangerous. Crack and meth are quite obviously more harmful than tobacco, especially short-term.
  8. MzHansan

MzHansan Member

Honestly, I'm not a medical proffesional, so I can't conjure up some incredibly detailed answer with tons of references to important scientific studies, but as someone who has tried both, I can at the very least contribute to the conversation a bit.
    As others have said, there is really no comparison: Weed mellows you out while coke speeds you up. Both has their upsides and downsides (Though to be clear: I am not advocating use of either, as both can be dangerous and addictive. As I said before, I know nothing of the uses of either when it comes to medicinal purposes! And although I am definitely not against the use of medical marijuana, I also don't know enough about it to make any sort of judgement about whether it's healthy or not. Consult your doctors people! Stay safe!) but to me, I strongly preferred cocaine. Marijuana made me paranoid, it made me lose control of my senses, and it made me lose awareness of my sorroundings. Coke did the total opposite. I became more aware of my sorroundings, but also of the feel, the taste, the smell of everything. I found it magical at the time. But there's no denying that coke is more addictive aswell.
    I wouldn't try either if I were you. And if you decide to do so anyway, I would strongly suggest having people around that you trust to look after you. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
  9. Matthodge1

Alright, I guess I just misunderstood what you had said in the first place.
  10. Matthodge1

A lot of people with bad cocaine addictions just don't make it that long, either. It's supposedly pretty easy to overdose on coke.
  11. serenity

@Matthodge1, That's true, I think the mere fact that you snort it and it goes directly to the brain makes it all the more lethal as compared to other drugs.
  12. Sparkster

Quite easily. High quality bud has visible THC crystals on it which don't look too much different from tiny crystals of crack cocaine or sugar. It can be sprinkled on the buds as the plants are being grown or can be added afterwards once harvested. Many marijuana smokers will look to see how much THC (i.e. white crystals) are on the bud in order to determine it's potency. Some people use grinders which collect these crystals then smoke them pure when they've got enough.
  13. serenity

@Sparkster, I used to buy weed before but it just looked plain green leaves to me, and they used to be quite cheap too, like $1+ per sachet. I think what I was buying was the lowest and cheapest kind of weed. I never saw any crytals in there. How much are they selling those weed with crystals?
  14. Sparkster

Nearly all marijuana on the streets of the UK is like this now. If there are no visible crystals on it then it's not going to sell. They've been consistently cross-breeding it, genetically engineering it, etc for the last ten years or so now and it has been rapidly increasing in potency. The cheapest you'll get it for is about £10 ($20) for one gram. However, marijuana wax is now becoming the next big thing and they are charging up to £120 for one gram.
  15. serenity

@Sparkster, Well I am from a 3rd world country, and I don't see any news feature about seized marijuana that contains crystals, so I guess that's only rampant in the UK or other first world countries. I think that engineered marijuanas can be more harmful than the natural ones because it's synthethic, and you're gonna ingest crack too when you buy it, so you're gonna be an unwitting addict.
  16. Sparkster

I think this is one of the reasons that the UK government reclassified it to a Class B drug again. A few years before that they had moved it down to a Class C drug and so possession of small quantities was no longer an arrestable offense. I think that's when they started messing with it to make it stronger and eventually it got reclassified to it's original class (the same class as speed/amphetamine). It's not synthetic though, marijuana buds do develop small crystals when grown under tropical climates. They just started using hydroponics and plant steroids and stuff to make it stronger. The synthetic stuff was legal until recently and was sold in shops but contained no real marijuana whatsoever. That stuff is extremely dangerous in comparison but they got away with it by labelling it "not for human consumption".
  17. serenity

The fact that they tampered with it means that it's not the natural plant anymore, and the re-classification of the drug just proves that it can be more addictive and dangerous than the usual weed. And they're quite expensive too!
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think both are addictive but maybe coke is more dangerous since as far as I know, it is pure chemicals unlike marijuana which is a plant. Just my own opinion though.
  19. Rob93FL

Where do you think cocaine comes from? By that logic, cannabis concentrates are also pure chemicals because they're extracted from the cannabis plant.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not sure but I think cocaine is a combination of chemicals, I am not that aware about cannabis concentrate either. I just knew that marijuana is a plant and some smoke it like tobacco.