An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine was in Coca cola? Is that for real?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by notaroundfesta, Jun 21, 2015.

1. I'm having a hard time fathoming this info. But my mom told me once upon a time cocaine was REALLY an ingredient Coca-cola soda.

She has to be BSing me right?
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup, a significant dose, whereas, in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola did once contain an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass, but in 1903 it was removed.[24] Coca-Cola still contains coca flavoring.

After 1904, Coca-Cola started using, instead of fresh leaves, "spent" leaves — the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with cocaine trace levels left over at a molecular level.[25] To this day, Coca-Cola uses as an ingredient a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Well, back in those days, cocaine wasn't illegal, and yes, it was used in coca-cola. It was also in a lot of stuff. Prescription cough syrup still has it.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

yes there was. back then cocaine was considered a miracle drug. i kinda still consider it that but the only reason its so illegal is its addictive potential
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I hate to break it to you, but your mom isn't bluffing you on that. The substance was still legal when the soda was being made. And yes, it was one of the main components of the drink.

Even though they don't use it anymore for obvious legal reasons, they still managed to simulate the flavoring so now even today, it taste like cocaine is still in it when it really isn't.

It's why Coca-Cola taste so VERY different from every other soda in the market.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

In those days there was no real regulation of cocaine and was used in Coca-Cola which is an interesting thing and not a lot of people may have noticed this when consuming the drink and the effects must of been very low. In those days ,the company may have been about profit and not caring about the public and how cocaine can cause harm to people and ruin lives as well. Now the coke is made without cocaine and still make it seem like the taste is similar to the old coke and can make one wonder what the taste must of been like.
  8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Cocaine was an ingredient in many elixir, miracle cures, and yes indeed, it was an ingredient in Coca-Cola. Back then there was no Food and Drud administration so there was no testing and regulation on drugs. It's pretty scary. Believe it or not there were many people addicted to drugs even back then.
  9. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Yes there was.
    I remember learning about that in junior high school. I used to think my history teacher was lieing too.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Much as it sounds like an urban legend, it’s not. I also learned about that in middle school, and I remember thinking it had to be BS. But things were different back when Coca-Cola was invented, So there you go.
  11. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

That is scary stuff even today my kids are addicted the coca cola and we did learn that in the old days it had medicinal value and it wasn't made to drink for recreation but frightening to think that something so dangerous was in what we use on a social level today.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I believe so, back in the days it was legal and was put into many beverages and prescription drugs. I've never heard of Coca-Cola containing actual cocaine, but it may be true.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's not all. Did you know that 7up used to contain lithium, right up until 1950! It certainly did take the "ouch" from the grouch!

7-up-lithiated-soda (1).jpg
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

At first, I just that this was just another silly conspiracy theory. But yes, apparently cocaine was indeed in use in Coca-Cola sodas during the early years. Definitely a bad idea but it just goes to show the lack of checks and balances that existed during that time period. I shudder to think of the negative impact, Coca-Cola and other products that also consisted of cocaine, caused the health of the public.
  15. tasha

That is crazy! So even back then were they involved with drugs. Imagine if that were the case today and companies put addictive chemicals into their foods and drink to make you want more!!
  16. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I don't think this is BS. I have heard this also. I understand it is difficult to believe, but let me tell you the United States Food and Drug administration accepts a lot of chemicals to be fit for human consumption. I say this in reference to the Pepsi Cola Companies putting the chemical Bromide in many of its beverages. Bromide is usually used for fire retardant.
    I have recently found out that Bromide is also used in many of the pesticides used on foods. I am almost sickened by the thought of all these chemicals being in my food.
  17. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I heard this before and wondered how true it was. It really makes you think about what is in our food now. If they thought it was okay to put actual cocaine in coke, what are they putting in our food today.
  18. tasha

Absolutely, we are putting all these toxins into our bodies and wonder why life expectancy rates have decreased and our children are becoming obese. There should be stricter rules on what is added to food and beverages
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Like everyone pretty much said, cocaine was legal at the time. And to be completely honest with you there, everyone considered it to be the miracle of the century, this is why it was being mixed with a lot more products, Coca-cola being only a small percent of them.

This is what initially brought attention to Coke, the fact that it had this "miraculous" drug within its compound.
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's right, it was marketed as a "health tonic"! Back in those days, medicines contained all sorts of things. People simply didn't realise how unsafe and addictive these things could be.