An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine was in Coca cola? Is that for real?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by notaroundfesta, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Nope, this is definitely true. I feel like the human race was a lot more daring in the past, and didn't test things properly before touting them as fine for public usage. Heroin and opium were miracle drugs in their time as well. Though not drug related, radioactive radium was also used for glow in the dark clock faces. I'm really happy that there are regulations now for these things.
  2. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Just an urban legend. Whoever thought of this must be pure evil.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Yes this is 100% true.
    If you go to South America, in certain counties you can buy coca leaves in many stores and chew them or make a tea. You get a little buzz from it not unlike that of coffee.
    See the thing about cocaine is the modern process used to extract the cocaine. Street cocaine is orders of magnitude more powerful then using the leaves of the coca plant.
    So yes Coca-Cola used to use coca leaves, but it's not even close to being the same as the cocaine you can get on the street.
  4. calicer1996

Finally, someone with the right answer. Thank you for clearing it up. The others were just beating about the bush!
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  5. NanouHammie

NanouHammie Member

Oh my goodness! I am trying to decide whether you are all joking! I always though that was sillyness! Sincerely, they put cocaine in pop? Any overedoses? Cause I know quite a few greedy people who drink pop all day long. I wish there were a marijuana pop! There's Bob Marley mellow mood but that's all chamomile.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Coke was a tonic back in the day. it's really interesting how it got it's start and how now it's just a soda to enjoy.
  7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Indeed, there are some myths and fact regarding Coca Cola, particularly because it was originally sold exclusively in in drug stores.

The funny thing of this is that nowadays many people think that cocaine is still an important ingredient in Coca Cola as we know it today, far for its original formula and former flavor.
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yes it was used in coca cola and that was how it got its unique and classic taste. Of course now they had to remove it because it is illegal, but it used to be buZing back in the 50s....
  9. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Yes, but not a significant amount that causes drinkers of the beverage to get addicted. Back in the day when Coke contained cocaine, it was a small amount so as to not caused psychedelic effects on the drinker. No, it wasn't illegal back then, and people were aware of this.
    Coke was, for a period, introduced as a coughing remedy because of its sizzling effects—some liquid cough medicine do taste like coke, even nowadays. Anyhow, coughing remedies do still contain cocaine in them.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

harold likes this.
  11. harold

harold Community Champion

It is great to know that cocaine is no longer an ingredient in Coca-cola soda. It is such a relieve. That just goes to emphasize the importance of scientific and legal checks. It also shows us the importance of innovation. Thank God! Anyway, I do not actually know if there are any research studies that show the impact of the substance on society then. Any ideas?
  12. harold

harold Community Champion

Thanks Jonny for that resourceful link. strange to know that clergy's and royalty had so much fun enjoying the cocaine in the coke. Interesting! Two popes really enjoyed the drink. I wonder what society would look like if the substance had not been banned! All the same, they drank in ignorance. Thanks to research, society has been spared the negative effects.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well perhaps cocaine wasn't much of a big deal then than it is today. In the past, cocaine was a run-of-the-mill ingredient, something like a seasoning. When people started to get addicted to it, Coca Cola stopped adding it as an ingredient. The same thing happened with aspartame, right? Because it's allegedly cancerous, the current Coca Cola management decided to switch to sucralose, which is relatively safer than aspartame and just as sweet as sugar.
  14. calicer1996

Haha! A tonic! Who the hell would believe that? It was a tonic to get you high and did more damage than good.
  15. karmaskeeper

A controversial move on the part of Candler was to sell Coca-Cola syrup as a patent medicine, claiming it would get rid of fatigue and headaches.

In 1898, however, Congress passed a tax in the wake of the Spanish-American war. The tax was on all medicines, so Coca-Cola wanted to be sold only as a beverage. After a court battle, Coca-Cola was no longer sold as a drug.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The years 1891-1929 cocaine was used in coca cola. The Coco-Cola Company began developing it in 1891 and launched it. Claimed to remove it in the early 1900's but did not completely remove it until 1929. Who knows what they really do now. FDA allows any of these companies to put whatever they want if it is less than 2% and not require them to put it on the label for people to read.
    Coca leaf; cocaine....A cash crop, grown for profit now even where it is illegal. Argentina, Peru, Columbia, Ecuador, and Bolivia. It's nutritious, Lol. A friend of mine brings back a few boxes of tea with the coca leaf from Peru.
    Now here's the kicker and you can look it all up. There's a company out of New Jersey that is a registered importer of the coca leaf. They manufactures pure cocaine for medical purposes and a cocaine-free extract of the coca leaf that is the flavoring TODAY in coca-cola. Cocaine-free, right, as if, maybe. Bolivian press reports the Coca-cola company imported 204 tons of the coca leaf in 1996. OOOO, check them out. Slipping in the flavoring.
    So, yeah I heard this too about coca-cola and cocaine.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Lol, oh boy. I wonder if they do the same thing as coca-cola. Lithium is supposedly something you can't go off of. Get them addicted to our soda. 7up thought they'd up their product on the cola. Oh yeah let's put a mood stabilizer in our soda. They even advertised it that way "lithiated lemon lime soda" Amazing.
  18. karmaskeeper

It's amazing what we put in our bodies without ever knowing. It's even more amazing that we really don't care. We trust the ads we see on t.v with the nice person telling us it worked for me it'll work for you. Honestly I think most of us choose to be blind. The old saying what ya don't know won't hurt ya.....Yeah right.
  19. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yea especially with that FDA rule having less than 2% and not letting us know about it, I don't even want to know!
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  20. karmaskeeper

I'm with you on that. I really don't want to think about it. I have worked in chicken houses, and they pump these chickens full of growth hormones in order to get them at a certain weight within a certain amount of time. I do not eat chicken not just because of that, but I have had to see thousands of them in a day. Day after day so it turned my stomach to think of eating one lol. That could be said for a lot of meats we consume.