An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cocaine was in Coca cola? Is that for real?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by notaroundfesta, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I heard that from my mom as well. She told me cocaine was in coca-cola, which I guess is how they came up with the name of that soda. My mom said my grandmother used to drink it a lot, but I think back then cocaine was not considered a drug. There are a lot of things that are considered bad now, that weren't in the past.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

It's very likely that Coca Cola has originally a different formula that had to be included some drugs, as it was not only sold at drugs stores but advertised as fatigue reliever and mental enhancer, look:

[​IMG]
    On a side note, think of the addiction Coca Cola caused since the early days to make a multi-millionaire company that only charged 5 cents for this drink!
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  3. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Well LSD use to be legal, and alcohol not legal. So cocaine being added to a beverage back in the day when big brother wasn't so present in things doesn't shock me. Things change with time, and laws change too. I suppose any drug ingested in small amounts could add in health issues people have. It's the people that abuse it, and get hooked that cause problems. Not to say it's totally their fault, but that's just like a smoker that is fully aware smoking is bad and it's printed on the box. Yet the smoker continues to smoke.
  4. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Cocaine was never in coca-cola! It was the leave of the coca plant that was a part of the ingredients. Cocaine is a manufactured drug from the coca plant and I can assure that the effects of the coca plant and that of cocaine are totally different.
  5. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

According to this write up it did contain a very small amount of cocaine in the beginning.

For God, Country, and Coca-Cola by Mark Pendergast is the definitive history of the product so many see as a symbol of America itself. This impressive tome – recently released as a third edition with added new material – is not a critique of Coca-Cola, nor is it a fan’s tribute, as Pendergast reveals things the Coca-Cola Company doesn’t want you to know. (Yes, it used to contain cocaine.) He even reveals the drink’s original secret formula (which is less exciting than you might think).
    Coca-Cola is not fascinating for what it is – colored sugar water with bubbles – but for what it represents. And that’s a point long known by the company’s marketers, with the exception of when they forgot it during the New Coke fiasco in the 1980s. Today, marketing students in business schools everywhere study that famous gaff.

Despite the decades-old slogan, “Delicious and Refreshing,” people do not drink Coca-Cola for the taste. They drink it because they associate it with positive things like friendship, fun, patriotism, and athleticism. Careful to market the drink to all people, everywhere, without alienating anyone, the ads are often vague. “Coke is It!” What is “it”? It’s whatever you want it to be, just as long as it makes you want to buy more Coke!
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

So after reading all previous post, I have com to the conclusion that coca cola tried getting people addicted to its products from at the time was not illegal narcotics. But over time they switched over to caffeine and sugar, and sugar being more addictive then cocaine ever was. They even did a brain scan of the effects of cocaine and sugar. They are almost identical.
  7. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

People used to be a lot cooler with drugs being in everything they used. (Well, actually it's more that they were ignorant of what they were consuming. The Pure Food and Drug Act did a lot to change products and make them safer for the consumer.) Patent medicines of the 19th century were mostly all alcohol or opiates, so they didn't so much cure your ailment as make you trip so hard you forgot what the problem was.
  8. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

She was right, cocaine was in coca cola, back a time ago.