An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

CoDA and AcOa support groups

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Ashley Hammond, Jan 30, 2015.

1. I know I am new on this site, but anytime I see things about support groups, I never see anything about Codependency or Adult Children of Alcoholics. I am both these and I wish I could see more like these kind of groups, even if they are just online. I am working on my bachelors degree is psychology-addictions and I am hoping when I get a little farther in my classes I can start my own recovery group for codependents. If no one knows what codependents are; it is someone who depends on someone else for everything. Most children or family members of an alcoholic know what it's like to have that person depend on them constantly and it is very hard to learn how to tell them No. No, you will not give them money or give them a place to stay. Al-anon covers a short part of this, but it doesn't go into depth of it. If you want to do a little research of your own you can find the book, "Codependent No More" or "Overcoming Hurts and Anger by Dwight L. Carlson, M.D.

"I am an Overcomer."
    Ashley
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Now that you mention how much help in codependency and adult children of alcoholics, thought to share a list of online resources that can help people like you, struggling with those feelings coming from early experiences dealing with alcoholic parents.

Hope this can help to you as to others:

Adult Children of Alcolics (ACoA)
    ACoA (English) www.adultchildren.org/
    ACoA Worldwide www.adultchildren.org/foreign.php

National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACoA)
    In the UK: Helpline: 0800 358 3456 - www.nacoa.org.uk -Email: helpline@nacoa.org.uk
    In the USA: www.nacoa.net

This is the National Center for Children of Alcoholics:
    Awareness Center. http://www.drjan.com/source.html