An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Coffee addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by 333, Dec 30, 2015.

1. 333

333 Member

I believe that I have a coffee addiction, as I have about 4 cups per day. Can anyone tell me if there are any long term negative effects to this habit? I do not want to stop, as I like the way it makes me feel, but I also have the feeling I am hurting myself at the same time. :( Thanks for your help.
  2. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I want to know the answer to this question too. I sometimes find myself drinking three cups a day.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Drinking coffee can cause insomnia, restlessness, nervousness, stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, etc. so you better lessen your coffee intake, because too much of it can harm you. Take a look at this link too: www.healthambition.com/negative-effects-of-coffee/
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I drink a lot of coffee, but it doesn't seem to bother me at all. I can drink a cup and go right to sleep. Long term negative effects, I don't know. There are studies out that say that coffee drank in moderation can actually be good for you, but then again there are other studies that say that coffee can be detrimental to one's health.
    I personally know at least one of my family members who drank black coffee almost every day of her life for many years, she lived to be 96 years old. Black coffee was her thing. She's the one that got me into drinking coffee because I constantly had to fix coffee for her for years.
  5. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

I drink way more coffee than I should. Sometimes, I wipe out an entire pot (12 cups) in an afternoon. This is usually when I am writing or working but it's not so much the caffeine as it is the comfort of having a hot drink. I could switch over to hot cocoa or tea quite easily and those are known to have good benefits. Coffee isn't too bad for you unless it becomes a crutch in which case you should consider cutting back. Occasionally I will go a week or two without it to lower my tolerance and start again fresh with 2 cups a day max.

There are many worse things you could be putting in your body so I wouldn't worry about it too much, just be sure to drink plenty of water and moderate your consumption. If you drink too much, you will often get a headache which will really let you know that you've overdone it.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I have been terrible at that the last 12 months. After having my baby I felt like I was just always lacking energy, so I've been turning to coffee a lot more than I probably should for that "pick me up" feeling. I have noticed that it's not the best for me when it comes to feeling anxious, and my heart races when I've had more than I should. One of my resolutions for the new year is to try and not rely on coffee as much - a cup a day or two at most is really what I am striving for.
  7. Joyner

Joyner Member

Coffee supposedly has health benefits as well, particularly the organic or whole bean kind. However, it's not a good idea to overdo it with the caffeine, which may be the issue here. Furthermore, if you're drinking a type of coffee that is highly acidic, that may be bad on your stomach lining over time. You should also make sure that your kidneys and liver have a good supply of water first thing in the morning in order for your organs to operate properly, rather than reaching straight for the coffee. I think coffee in moderation is not necessarily a bad thing though (such as a recreational drug which should not be taken, even in "moderation."
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that coffee can be quite addictive and my sister used to drink it quite a bit and also it can be nice to the mouth which can be appealing and also the mind can want more than is needed and she would drink a few cups a day which would affect the body and cause her shake at times. I reckon that it is something we need to think about as the body can find it hard to sleep and also a person can feel like they need the coffee to cope with their life and this can start the addiction which causes the person to drink it and not think of the consequences in the process. I think that having it a few times a week is alright as the excess can affect the person and also they can think it is not going to do anything to them if they have more than they need.
  9. bleblanc10

A lot of coffee never leaves me feeling great.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Anything in excess is bad so, better to drink coffee in moderation. I think that some side effects of too much caffeine are hard to fall asleep and nervousness but maybe that could vary per person as we react on substances differently.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

4 cups a day? Are we talking cups as in 250ml, or cups as in giant mugs??
    Doesn't matter, you 100% have an addiction to caffeine.
    Is it a big worry, probably not, a good portion of the US population has a caffeine addiction.
    If you add a lot of cream and sugar that can be bad for you.
    Coffee actually has a lot of good properties.
    Too much coffee can lead to blood pressure and cardiac problems though.
    It can lead to sleep disruption too, if you are drinking it late in the day.

I would say as long as you drink in moderation (<1L coffee per day) and don't drink it too late in the day you will be just fine.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think you should first try weening yourself off the caffeine. I think once you ween yourself off of the coffee try green tea for a alternative. The side effects of drinking too much coffee is insomnia and dehydration. If you could get to the point where you only drink a cup a day that would be safe. I hope this helps, Good luck.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, unless it is really affecting your sleep, or your nervous system being addicted to coffee is not the worst thing ever. I think something like up to 4 or 5 cups of coffee per day is actually good for you. I wouldn't really worry about it that much. In fact, unless it is really bothering you, why bother to quit?
  14. bleblanc10

I am talking like the big car travel mugs, three a day throughout classes and a coffee mug before I go to class.
  15. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I can not drink more then a few cups of coffee a day before my heart starts racing, I just dizzy and feel sick. I normally have one cup of coffee at day first thing in the morning and that is good for me.I have a sister who drinks 10-12 cups a day. I don't know how she does it.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

4 cups a day is a little bit excessive, but it depends if you make your coffee stronger or lighter. While it's great that coffee makes you feel good, you should also start eating healthier and maybe work out. That should probably give you a little more energy.
  17. bleblanc10

Having a cup of coffee in the morning will always be my favorite routine.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

If you are not experiencing any symptoms that are interfering with your daily routine in any way, then I'd say that you shouldn't worry about it. My fiance drinks 6 cups coffee daily and he is fine, he even drinks coffee a couple hours before going to bed and never has troubles sleeping or is overly nervous. Some people can handle this much caffeine.
  19. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

There are many cons and pros with regards if coffee is good or bad for our health. They said coffee had antioxidants that is why it is just okay to drink a cup of coffee or two everyday. But more than that it is already not good for our health. Just like what they said just drink coffee in moderation only.
  20. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

Am I the only person here that thinks an addiction to coffee is complete bullshit?