An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Coke as "BusinessMan Drug", What Does That Entail?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by bluedressed, Jan 13, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Hippies have been known to smoke weed, take LSD and other hallucinogenic substances. Ecstasy is party drug for love and lust. Students can be counted on for binge drinking and being stoners, too. Homeless people will be scrambling for crack, and heroin is the drug of those hopeless people who are in movies the sad case and in real life are all sorts of people falling pray, hard. These are the stereotypes as I took them in, so to speak, and as I saw indeed major trends.

Cocaine, though, is an interesting subject. Which has been associated with young people and parties, sure, but also a lot with business people (wolf of wall street, anyone?) and politicians. The "high performance, high ego" drug.

What do you think are the reasons that this is the to-go drug for such a specific "high power" group of people? The feeling of even more power? The clear-mind sort of effect? How would one go about recognizing signs of cocaine use in those high power people? My partner often sees people and say, "Clear, this one is on coke, look at the face and the expression", but I have no experience with this and often feel like he exaggerates.

Do you think we should randomly test politicians and CEOs for this? Do you think anyone should lose their job if they're found to have used?
  2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I think the movies and media helped inflate the stereotype of cocaine as some businessman's drug, used among the elite. I don't know if that is necessarily the case these days to be honest. In the 80's that may have certainly been the case, as cocaine use exploded, and books/movies such as Scarface or American Psycho helped cement the stereotypes. It makes for a salacious storyline, for sure.

It also might have to do with the assumption that perhaps cocaine is less detectable than say, weed or LSD. It doesn't "stink" like weed, and it doesn't make you all loopy like acid would. Of course, those who abuse it in larger amounts will start showing the telltale signs - constant sniffling, white powder reside around and dripping from their noses, manic behavior, grinding their jaws, and such.

I'm not a fan of drug testing generally speaking because I feel that it's a tremendous waste of taxpayer money and also it's really aimed at shaming the poor. In a majority of circumstances where individuals are drug tested, the only ones making out like a bandit are the companies providing the drug testing, and very few people actually test positive.

As gratifying as it would be to see CEO's and politicians busted for drug use, testing them would mean everyone else would be expected to get tested too. Though right now we mainly only test middle to lower class employees, I highly doubt we would ever only test upper middle class folks for jobs exceeding a certain pay scale.

Should people be instantly fired if found to be on drugs? That's another touchy issue. I don't think someone such as a surgeon should be permitted to work under the influence of drugs, and I certainly wouldn't want a cocaine addict managing my finances - but there are many functioning addicts out there that we're unaware of too.
  3. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I think it has been associated with business men because starting in the '80s a lot of business men were doing it, lol. Probably because it is a stimiulant rather than a depressant which gives on the ability to stay awake longer and have more energy. There is a comedian who has a joke "You can tell when someone is on coke at a party because they always want to start a business with you." I think in The Wolf of Wall Street they were mainly taking Quaaludes, but maybe there was coke too.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I've heard this before as well, it's definitely a nod to the 80's. To be fair though, most people were doing coke in the 80's, it was the drug of the decade.

That joke is hilarious by the way, I can't stop laughing!
    Rosyrain likes this.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It's probably known as a "businessman's drug" because of it's high cost, like amphetamine is known as "poor man's coke". Cocaine is so expensive that you'd need to be a wealthy businessman to continue to fund your habit as they are the only people who can afford to keep up with it it! It has become cheaper in recent times though, although also less pure.
  6. juliaintheclouds

That's true sparkster. I had forgotten about the prohibitive cost. Cocaine is not only the business man's drug but also the rich man's drug. I think crack is considered the poor man's coke since it's made from the same stuff!
  7. Sparkster

Crack is actually a lot more expensive than standard powdered cocaine, not the other way around. Crack is basically cocaine which has been washed back with either ammonia or sodium bicarbonate and left to crystallize. The process makes it a lot stronger and a lot purer but because there is so little left over after the process, because all the 'junk' has been washed away, making it yourself can be incredibly expensive - even more so if your cocaine doesn't have very good purity. In this area decent cocaine would cost between £50 to £60 per gram whereas crack would cost between £80 to £120 per gram. However, cheap cocaine can be bought on the streets for as little as £35 per gram - it's just not very strong and has been cut with all sorts of other substances.
  8. juliaintheclouds

Wow I had no idea. I guess the idea is that you can buy 5$ worth of crack and get a quick high but it wears off fast right? There has to be a reason why crack is so prevalent in poor neighborhoods right?
  9. Sparkster

I don't know where you live or whether you can buy crack cocaine in your area for $5, but there's no chance of that happening anywhere in the UK as far as I know - it wouldn't be worth the dealers time or risk and if you asked them for that little they would probably laugh at you and tell you where to go! It can be bought cheaply though. I think the smallest amount you can buy in this part of the UK is quarter of a gram which goes for around £20 ($40). I think £5 worth might get you one pipe (if you're lucky!).
  10. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I believe that humans acting in their business or administrative positions, should be tested for drugs when their performance begins to slack dramatically or he/she no longer excels in their obligations to helping people - and this applies to any humans living, regardless of their social status or position(s). More over, good Law must be expressed, meaning it must be direct and not ambiguous e.g. even though forced "human" slavery has been officially banned worldwide, however, voluntary slavery is still practiced, which a businessman is merely a title held by a man/woman and does not make him/her immune to the consequences of drug using 'if' he/she ascribed to being responsible and liable to be punished for drug use.

Cocaine is the high-class drug because it stimulates a humans' mind and body to feel as if they're invincible and infallible, much like the movies "Limitless" and "Scarface." I have friends who have told me about cocaine's effects in them, and their egos do get boosted from doing the drug, however this is also an effect that occurs in other drugs but is more potent with cocaine.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think that the image of cocaine is self-perpetuating. It's high price means only the richer people can afford it. This then sends a message to other rich people that it's acceptable to use coke. All the while, these users are thinking "Well, he uses it and he doesn't look like any of those homeless druggies you see in the streets. Therefore, it must be OK".
  12. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think tht is a stereo type from the movies and it has been brought into play by someone weak who saw that it looked cool and it worked for the actor. I think that it is affordable to business men but if you have a problem then you will sell your kids to get the drug of choice so in the long run I think that is something that is made popular in the movie business but the scary thing is that drugs are everywhere and anyone can get them.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I to think it's more costly hence being called that. Also it's like a diamond is in a way rich people buy them. Poor people buy fake diamonds. It's just a fancy street drug, but still a drug.
  14. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I think that many stimulants will make you more productive and stay awake more hours, at first, and that's why people with high stress jobs with long hours take it. However, after a while people get addicted to the "high" and chase that with larger and larger doses instead of taking the small doses they were taking when they started. This eventually re-wires the brain to where the person is actually LESS productive than before without cocaine, so then these people feel like they NEED to keep doing coke in order to keep their jobs.

These days though, I've heard getting an adderall prescription is the new version of doing coke for these high-flying business men. I remember reading somewhere that like 1/3 of stockbrokers at this one firm were on it.
  15. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Probably every demographic has tried cocaine, but it came about as the "classy" drug in the 80's when the travelling businessman go out and use it as a casual drug.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

My understanding of this is simple. People would rather push this drug than use it personally. It's one of the most widely trafficked drugs around the world and cartels earn huge sums of money smuggling this drug from place to place. You can also think of it this way: this type of drug is commonly used by entrepreneurs or people in the upper echelons of society.
  17. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

If that ever happened there would be tons of people shocked by those caught doing it & if people were fired because of it there would be a massive increase in employment options in the states. However, if it's a common urine test, cocaine is out of your system pretty quickly & if we're talking important people/high rollers I can see them somehow avoiding the consequences.

Insofar as why it's considered a business man's drug: It's expensive & it energizes. It's perceived as not hindering you in completing workloads that are making you obscene amounts of money. It's a designer drug.
  18. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Cocaine definitely has a wide variety of users, but most of them are businessmen or higher status people in general. I believe that if they tested all of these CEO's and corporate big shots, then they would be guilty and they would lose their jobs, which is tragic but it is also necessary, I think. It would definitely shift the business world in a very obvious kind of way.
  19. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Cocaine is widely associated to re-creative drug from higher classes, I recall the stock market for example, but this is just one stereotype that has to change, drugs aren't a cool thing.
  20. itsnotmeitsu

itsnotmeitsu Member

Sparkster is pretty much correct on pricing. It's always been '£10 per point' as far as I've known, that is, £10 per 0.1 gram of crack. Typically people will buy '20 stones' or '50 stones' at .2 and .5 respectively.

It's addictive on a scale I've not experienced with other drugs, you will spend all the money you currently have during a binge, it would take a LOT of willpower to stop early of that point.