An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Coke = speed

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by AMZNBNDL, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Cocaine has been used medicinally since at least the 1800's. If you look at the word, it has -caine in it. If you have ever had a procedure done that required a topical anesthetic, you were probably given another anesthetic that ends in -caine like lidocaine, procaine (Novocaine), etc. Cocaine is still used, albeit rarely, for nasal and lacrimal duct surgeries.
  2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Yes, as far as I know, that is. I've seen some articles online about it, but what I do know is it is only being used by professionals. Of course, I'm not a doctor in any way so I can't explain the science behind it. Nevertheless, I still don't encourage using the substance.
  3. nbts92

nbts92 Member

The combination of the narcotic heroin and stimulant cocaine mixed together and injected together in a single shot. When administered IV, the speedball produces the best rush/high in the world of drugs and is the most deadly of procedures as far as getting loaded. Highly addictive. Beyond destructive. Will bring any addict to their knees. It will call you and lure you, lie to you and kill you. Like alcohol and pills as well. This is the worst though. That is why it is the best.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As the previous post says, cocaine was used for many years as a anaesthetic to numb the pain. I guess it's only when people started abusing it that they had to take a long hard look at it and make a decision on banning it.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It's a good thing that it's not available in your area and you should quit trying to get any. There's quite a lot of it about in my area at the moment (not that I use it, I don't) and it's definitely not speed. Cocaine and speed are two very different substances with very different effects, although it wouldn't surprise me if the two are being combined. Amphetamine is a lot cheaper.
  6. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Geography really is a huge factor in deciphering what coke is real and what is other things. Colombian coke is usually more pure than the coke that goes around in America.
  7. Matthodge1

I have not heard of anyone doing coke for medical reasons. I am pretty sure that person just misspoke or meant something that was worded incorrectly.
  8. Sparkster

Cocaine has two main medicinal benefits, it can be used to treat depression and it can be used as a local anesthetic. I suppose someone could use it to self-medicate in order to treat their own depression but that's really quite a silly idea. Cocaine can be dangerous, not only can it cause overdose but it can also cause hypothermia. You couldn't really justify using it as a local anesthetic when self-medicating though, there would be no need for you to use it in that way.
  9. Matthodge1

I have never heard of a doctor prescribing anyone a healthy dose of cocaine. I am pretty positive those supposed health benefits can be found in something that is not life ruining and just overall damaging.
  10. Sparkster

Yes, exactly. That's why it's not used medicinally any more. I have never heard of a doctor prescribing cocaine either but it was previously used in hospitals and by dentists as a local anesthetic. After that, dentists started using novocaine instead. I don't know if they still do. I don't what local anesthetic they gave me when I was in hospital but I had five injections and it was a very similar feeling to the feeling you get from smoking crack-cocaine.
  11. Matthodge1

I knew that maybe like back in the 1920's that cocaine was used a lot in drinks and things like that, but I had no idea that it was ever used for a medical purpose. That is so crazy to think about haha. Maybe in small, poor countries they still use cocaine.
  12. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Indeed!. Nowadays quality is often bargained for quantity. The demand is high so they can just go and mix pure coke with other substances. It's still profit to them anyway. Also if you're a normal user of the substance, it sometimes gives you more tolerance and in that case you can no longer feel the 100% high.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That is never discussed anywhere. How it is made and the purity level. I'm guessing it is getting a weaker mix in times of recession or it's getting harder to get the necessary materials for a stronger mix.
  14. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

This is what makes these drugs dangerous is the fact that they're cut. But even if they are pure, the risk is still high that something bad will happen to you.
  15. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Drugs are a very difficult thing to get away from and it could start with a simple drag of a smoke, weed and then continue on to other things. The fix seems to never be enough and a story for the truth is this.....you either end up in the gutter, dead or in prison with your entire life thrown away for a simple solution to your lifes problems, getting into the open and facing your demons with people that can help and understand you. Once you have been to prison it is very difficult to come out and have any kind of life at all and the reality is this; if you cannot understand that you need help or that you have a problem, then life will end up being rotten for you but there is hope for a better life.
  16. Matthodge1

I feel like it is not discussed because most of the people who know things about it do not want to spill the beans on how it is made whenever it is purified more.
  17. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I didn't know coke is also known as speed. I was told it was meth.
  18. Sparkster

You've misunderstood. Coke, or cocaine, is not also known as speed. Coke is cocaine hydrochloride, Speed is amphetamine sulfate. They are two very different substances and are not related to each other. Meth, however, is related to Speed (amphetamine). Whereas Speed is amphetamine, Meth is methamphetamine (or methylamphetamine); it's the same thing but with an extra methyl group added.
  19. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Although both could be considered equally dangerous for slightly different reasons, fake drugs bring on complications of their own. Such as doing some "coke" at 6PM, thinking you'll be in bed by ten, then being up until sunrise because what you took was speed.