An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cold Turkey Preference: Methamphetamine or Oxycontin?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by princepts, May 19, 2015.

1. princepts

princepts Member

I would like to briefly give my experience and invite others to share their insights as well. Basically, I became addicted at the age of 26. I am 38 years old now. I was a high school teacher. I had my life in front of me. There was one insurmountable problem: I was acclimated to taking 1,000 mg. of Oxycodone per day. In short, I ended up robbing a drug store with a friend of mine. We got away with it. He told on us; most likely saving our lives. I spent 40 months in prison. I spent 40 months clean.

Upon my parole, I became "gainfully employed" as the D.O.C. likes to call it. I worked, but soon discovered that work was best performed with adderall/phentermine/adipex or unfortunately methamphetamine. The cycle started again. I started taking opiates too.

I learned how to cook the methamphetamine. I became addicted and lost about 40 lbs. in 3 months. It was the only drug that I had ever taken that I could quickly see the consequences; the destruction and its' effect on my body. I was taking 1-2 grams per day, for the course of about 9 months. That was enough for me. It gave me energy unlike anything I had ever had before, yet, I quit cold turkey. I stopped. I was certain I was going to regret the decision to do so. I had convinced myself that my body was too used to the throttle it conveyed to me daily. Since stopping, I have had NO physical withdrawal symptoms, as I experienced when I quit any type of opiate. Sure, I was tired, fatigued and missed the energy. But in retrospect, it pales in comparison to the aftermath of stopping opiates. It is not even remotely in the same ballpark. This is just my experience. There are without a doubt, others who would state the same thing with methamphetamine proving the more difficult substance to cease.

I would like to hear your stories.
    Last edited: May 20, 2015