New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cold turkey

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by oportosanto, Oct 30, 2015.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

My rehab was not pleasant. I did it in the home of a friend and I stayed there for two weeks. The first week was hell has many here might know as the body was physically getting clean, but than the pain reduced gradually. I still have vivid memories of those days even if they are long gone, it's something that motivates me not to relapse, ever.
  2. thekennie

thekennie Member

I did my rehab on my own, I tried to seek help from professionals and I was tired of them from the first visit. After that I didn't go back, they "closed" twenty minutes before their card said the real time they were suppose to close at. It irritated me because I was trying to do the correct thing and seek help but they were too worried about what time they were gonna be going home. Recovery sucks but I know the guilt would eat me alive if I relapsed now. Stay strong! <3
  3. oportosanto

How did you manage to do the rehab on your own kennie? I know it's hard because when we are in physical detox we cannot function at all, so it has to be something extremely hard...!
  4. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Good job on doing it. The vivid memories of quitting cold turkey can be very inspirational indeed, and serve as fuel for the future. I like to imagine it as if there are demons going out of your body, and it might be painful and hard, but the detox must happen.
  5. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

I found people who go through their rehab by themselves, without much help from doctors, etc. It means they have great attitude, will and realised for themselves that an addiction is a very serious matter, plus got enough strength and courage to do it by themselves, on their own. Good job to all such people!
  6. oportosanto

Yes, but it's extremely hard to do it cold turkey. As far as I see it, after a life of drugs it really doesn't matter the process we do detox as long as we do it, we should just advance and get clean!
  7. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Wow I am really in awe of you guys who managed to detox cold turkey on your own. That takes an amazing amount of strength and determination. I hope the memories of it help keep you clean. Stay strong, and celebrate your achievement!
  8. oportosanto

So true gettingbetter, so true. Cold turkey is a really painful process and the sad part is that even if we detox that way we can easily return to the addiction if we don't stay alert all the time.
  9. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

There are cuts being made to healthcare in Britain which are affecting drug rehabilitation services, and this is causing more and more people to go "cold turkey" as they don't have access to professional help like they did before.

Just remember that "cold turkey" can be dangerous, and always try and get some support while you do it, whether that's a trained healthcare professional or a friend or family member.
  10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

My rehab was truly hard because I made the choice for going alone all the way, and this included not only decline the help of support groups, but also avoid professional health care help.

This means that I had to put willpower, empiric knowledge, and home remedies together, before getting clean and sober again.
  11. oportosanto

Why did you decide to do that on your own, any particular reason? First of all it's great that you did you, but if it was today wouldn't you prefer to have the help of a group or someone?
  12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Sure! If this would be recently, I would certainly tried out a support group, and I would be blessed finding support precisely here, much in the way all of us lending a helping hand and share advice.

However I made the decision to quit in the early 90s, when I was still young to worry about what others could say regarding my drinking behavior and, above all, those were a different times, in which society was more pesky than it is today when it comes to people with addiction problems, and particularly because it was uncommon see women drinking the way I used to drink; I'm a female.

I'm grateful because I succeeded getting myself sober and clean, but the road would be much more easier in present time, and if I would knew all what I know today about addictions and support resources :)
  13. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Even if it wasn't pleasant, it sounds like you have all the tools and motivation that you need now to become sober. I find that traumatic experiences related to drug abuse or other habits are truly what set you on the straight path. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Often times it takes the bad for us to see the good.
    oportosanto likes this.
  14. oportosanto

Very much true. Only when we realize that the life around us is collapsing due to our abuse is when we find the strength to turn it around. Hopefully we can realize that sooner.