An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

College Days

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by morganmar33, Jan 18, 2015.

1. morganmar33

morganmar33 Member

What are your opinions about constant college partying? It seems that it is socially acceptable for college students to
    get completely wasted. Most people just turn a blind eye. Do you feel these students will overcome this without problems in the future?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I would like to offer ordinary comments like "they're young, they'll soon grow out of it," "it's their life so to each his own," "you only live once" and "they're old enough to know what they're doing" but I'd be a hypocrite then. In truth, I have no qualms about regulated merry-making but to get drunk, high and utterly wasted is not my idea of partying. Some university students end up carrying these vice-ridden habits into their post-college life. By the time they're part of the workforce, it's hard to shake off alcohol, drugs or smoking. Rather than run the risk of turning into such a dysfunctional individual, one should know how to set the limits. There should be a law banning university students from touching alcohol, cigarettes and regulated drugs like marijuana.
    morganmar33 likes this.
  3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Personally, I'm sick of it. I'm so sick of my entire college campus complaining about not having enough time to do things, or being "so stressed out" because they have so much work to do because they're going out two or three or four or five or some even more times a week to bars and clubs and parties! It's ridiculous! I hate that my friends go out all of the time and come back drunk and I'm expected to clean up their mess.
  4. bbeverly

bbeverly Member

Honestly, I find it rather sad. College is supposed to be enjoyable but I think most would like to remember it. Getting drunk and wasted all the time, isn't a fun experience in general in my opinion. If they want to drink, I think somehow it should be more regulated. Now that's harder to do if they are of age and go off campus. But maybe for on campus parties, they have to get approvals for the party, alcohol, age, etc. No surprise alcohol parties. Yet again, that still can be hard to do so depending on the budget/ funds of the school. So sometimes it seems like a lose-lose situation.
    Most of these students, at least ones I've been around, either stick with that lifestyle and end going from job to job, or they break the cycle and become relatively successful and happy. It's a sad reality, that higher education and college drinking comes hand in hand now and days.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Going to college is the first time away from your parents for many people so it's no surprise that students go overboard with their new-found freedom. Of course, this is just a phase for most students and tends to have calmed down by the time finals come around. The majority of students just grow out of this phase and suffer no ill-effects.
  6. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I don't drink, so I don't understand the appeal of it, but it really is excessive. I am in graduate school and have a classmate who goes out and gets drunk at least 4 nights a week. I think it's just plain sad. She obviously cannot control her urges after the amount of partying she did in her undergraduate studies and it has carried over into graduate school, where things are supposed to be much more serious. I have no idea how she is going to survive without partying all week once she gets a real job.
  7. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

As a person who never find any appeal in drinking as well, I don't see the point of being wasted and doing ridiculous things at a college party. However, I can see the reason why partying is a fun thing to do when you were in college. You had to relieve yourself from the built up stress and find a way to socially interact with friends. It is a natural thing to do in my opinion so yes, I believe partying will be hard to separate from college lifestyle.
  8. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Yeap partying a at least twice a week does get sickening. If its not a reason to celebrate then its a reason to cheer themselves up. So during the times I feel like I can't turn them down, I'll tag along but I won't drink.
  9. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

It cannot be avoided that there are parties and socialization in college and part of this is really those binge drinking, drinking games and being wasted. I am actually against this because being in college is supposedly for students to learn and experience extra-curricular activities that may help them in the real world like volunteering and community work. But there are some who still graduate besides these drinking and I guess it is part of college life and they usually overcome this when they are failing or about to graduate. It would be difficult to totally ban these activities, but limiting them by setting curfews and proper rules and regulations can control these activities.
  10. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

It really comes down to each individual. Some people are more prone to becoming addicted vs other people. College is all about experimenting and trying to find yourself. I personally never drank in college and I some what regret it, because I do not share the same experiences/ stories are some of peers now. On the other hand I also feel a sense of pride, as I did not drink to have fun. I think "Acceptable" is the correct word for college drinking, rather many kids get a burst of freedom when they are away from home. Hopefully, they are able to keep up their grades and maintain a healthy life in the future (which many actually do). I noticed it is actually the kids who do not go to college that are more prone to drinking heavily and becoming drinking. I feel like the kids who are in college actually have goals and want to have fun as they also study hard to achieve their goals.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

College was really where my alcohol problems developed - and yes, I think you're right, because it's so socially acceptable and everyone turns a blind eye to it being problematic (in fact in a lot of cases you seem "weird" if you're not drinking) then it's hard. I honestly wish that our culture wasn't the way it was, that college = partying, drinking and so forth. Something has to change but it's hard when it's almost viewed like a rite of passage.
  12. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

When I was in college surprisingly I didn't see that many parties going on. I expected to see a lot more partying than I did because I would always hear about how those are the "partying days". There were students though who would go out three or four times a week to drink and go clubbing and then complain because they were failing and I was so sick of hearing it. I never partied in college, I paid so much money to be there I wasn't going to let anything get in my way of getting my degree out of it.
  13. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think it's getting worse and worse. College is not a good place to be if you are vulnerable to addictions. I know that many people don't even go for the sake of getting a degree or a certification, they would mostly go due to partying and doing these forbidden things.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

Being social is acceptable but up to limits. Not all attend college parties since there are those who are serious about learning. We should attend such parties but that should not be an excuse to misbehave. We must party up as mature people.
  15. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

This is a common thing. I mean I did not go to a four year college but I have sure heard stories. I feel that this is the hard cold truth. Its definately an opportunity for teens to be introduced to drugs. When my daughter entered college, I had a good talk with her because she was not use to all that freedom. So far she's doing great.
  16. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Indeed, most students go through the same pathway at college, or even earlier at high school days, time at which they are prone to experiment with whatever is coming to their hands, which usually turns into the fun of today and the sorrow of tomorrow if addictions take over them.

The saddest part of this, it's an old-time justification for their actions that I can still hear coming from parents; "It's okay, let's them party NOW that they are young..."

Like if youth would forcibly be a stage in life for all type of excesses.
  17. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that it depends on the person, some people get too attached to those times even when they are not in college anymore, but some of them know how to handle it, and they are able to not be completely into party time. I think that college students should be more aware of the things that they are exposing to and the damage that their present could be doing to their future, I understand that they are young and want to experiment new feelings but i think that Is primordial to take proper care of yourself first.
  18. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I did not go to a four year college but I am sure that a lot of partying and drugs play there part there. I did go to cosmetology school and some of the same peer pressure was there. I did not seem to be one that wanted to do drugs but the opportunities are sure there. With children feeling like they are no longer under their parents wings this gives them more of an opportunity to experiment.
  19. mochaisis

mochaisis Member

Some college students do grow out of that behavior, constantly partying and being wasted all of the time. Some don't though. When I was in college, during my senior year, I had a sorority sister who had to leave 2 months before graduation. She hid her addiction very well, and none of us knew, but she became progessively addicted to cocaine. If I had known what to look f0r then, maybe I could have helped her more, but being young myself, I had no idea what to look for. We did see her at the 10 year reunion last year, and she was 3 years sober then. While we all experimented, she was someone who got hooked.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I think some of them will grow to become really good and responsible adults, but others just don't and might end up ruining their life, but it really depends a lot on the person, you know? Some can handle it, never become alcoholics, or use drugs, but others just can't and end up paying the price. I'd personally hate it if I was involved in that at this age. I'd hate being the one cleaning after their mess.