An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

College Days

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by morganmar33, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I don't believe in getting so wasted that you forget all about the night before. A lot of college kids do this though. Some do it for the the so called college experience and are able to recover from it but others never do.
  2. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I don't see a problem with partying in general, especially after a grueling midterm or final. This is in the period of their life when they're finally away from their parents and some sort of close surveillance, so I can see why. However, once again, everything in moderation. You should definitely not be partying to the point where you're suffering physically, mentally, academically, or financially. If you are a guardian figure, remember to check up on them once a while.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This is a good point. Just to add to it, you are given a lot more freedom in college than you are in school. It's more about self-discipline whereas in schools the teachers are there to discipline you and make sure you behave. In college, if you can't discipline yourself then it's your fault if you end up losing out. I think that lack of control is probably the reason youngsters think they can start getting away with overstepping the boundaries when in college.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

When I was in college partying is not a common thing to us at least to my circle of friends. Also if going out, very seldom that there will be alcoholic drinks like we did watching movies, arcade games and food trips.
    I think those partying with alcoholic drinks should be avoided as prevention is better than cure. They should also focus on studies more.
  5. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

I would relish to offer mundane comments like "they're adolescent, they'll anon grow out of it," "it's their life so to each his own," "you only live once" and "they're old enough to ken what they're doing" but I'd be a hypocrite then. In truth, I have no qualms about regulated merry-making but to inebriate, high and starkly wasted is not my conception of partying. Some university students end up carrying these vice-ridden habits into their post-college life. By the time they're a component of the workforce, it's hard to shake off alcohol, drugs or smoking. Rather than run the peril of turning into such a dysfunctional individual, one should ken how to set the inhibitions. There should be a law ostracizing university students from physically contacting alcohol, cigarettes and regulated drugs like marijuana.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am not really against college parties. I have also been to college, and since I was pretty young back then, I liked going out, and hanging out with my peers after class. It's a good stress reliever. However, these students must also realize that there should be a fine line between having fun, and getting completely wasted.