An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

College students believe Marijuana is Non-Addictive

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by kurvanna, Oct 9, 2015.

1. kurvanna

kurvanna Member

I currently attend Clemson University, and drawing from my exposure, I believe college students who smoke marijuana regularly attest to its status as a non-addictive substance. Yet, I feel like those students become a walking paradox as they smoke seemingly everyday for no other purpose than to get high. I largely attribute this prevalent attitude to the legalization movement as it has sought to self-preserve with boasts of only the "positive effects" marijuana provides for its users. I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions regarding what could very easily become the equivalent to alcoholism among young adults.
  2. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Kids in college do believe pot is harmless and non addictive and the reality is that it really is that way, cannabis' addictivness is not something to worry about because a person can quit weed easily if they wanted, I know several friends of mine who don't smoke weed anymore and didn't have a hard time detoxing...though it's not about the addiction, it's about the negative impact it might bring on you which could be horribe but even that is not something to worry about as long as you smoke in moderation.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Well first it depends on what kind of addicting we are talking about.
    Marijuana is NOT physically addictive like cocaine, alcohol, nicotine and caffeine are.
    But it can be physiologically addictive much like sugar or video games.

Now as to why college kids think they can smoke with no actual repercussions (which isn't true, pot is linked to all sorts of negative effects on the body and person) I am sure there are many theories out there.
    My own thoughts are that it's because it's illegal. The primary source of information these kids are getting is coming from the dealers themselves, or from media like music and movies that portray things far from the truth.
    Plus most kids don't take our messages about drugs seriously, because they realize the war on drugs is a complete failure, and spews out so much non-sense that it's hard to figure out what's fact and what isn't.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I still think that it is addictive since there are those who got addicted to it already. Maybe not as addictive compared to other substances. I also think that it is alarming that kids think that way about a substance and just use it on the daily basis.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd also just like to clarify that marijuana isn't physically addictive as tests have shown, but that certainly doesn't mean it's not psychologically addictive.

At the moment there's mixed messages coming from everyone, and that includes the government as to how harmful the drug is, and that isn't helping the situation either.
  6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I am a firm believer that you can be addicted to just about anything. Marijuana is definitely one of them. It's not to say that I don't agree with the idea of smoking marijuana, but I can't deny that it is addicting.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's relatively easier for someone to convince themselves that something which is untrue is true if they repeat it numerous times. Addiction comes with overconsumption over a long period of time. Smoking a lot of weed for a long time will end in addiction.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive
    Yes, marijuana can be addictive. Over time, overstimulation of the endocannabinoid system by marijuana use can cause changes in the brain that lead to addiction . . . it is estimated that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've got to say I smoked weed for years and never got addicted to it. One day I just didn't do it anymore. But I also have to say that I wasn't an every day smoker, I just smoked on weekends, and only if I was drinking. Now, I do know some people who smoke 24/7, so that sure seems like an addiction to me.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I also agree that smoking weed is not that addictive, I used to smoke it too but even if I liked it, I could live without it, you know? The effects are not even that harmful, as you can see. Just a couple of mood swings and an extreme appetite at the most.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My partner was addicted to it. To the point where he couldn't do without it. He smoked it all day long for many many years. That was his life. He didn't know what it was like to not be stoned. He got a job where they would do random drug testing and because it was a good job that he couldn't afford to loss he gave up weed. It wasn't easy for him. He went threw terrible withdrawals but he eventually got away from it. He never touched for for years but now he is back at it again. Now it is only every once and awhile at a party or gathering with friends. He doesn't have that job anymore so he doesn't worry about that. Since he started smoking again though he told me himself that if he had the money he could easily back to way he was before. The only thing that stops him is that he can't afford it right now. So maybe not everybody gets addicted but he is one of the ones who did.
  11. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

To tell them that their choice to smoke every day to get high is an addiction would never work.

It'd be like saying that just because they like to watch TV every day to waste time and have fun, they're addicted. Or something like that. I think many people see addiction as something you end up doing even when you stop wanting to do it. Like heroin -- we always have those stories of junkies and crack addicts who hate themselves and want to stop but never can and, if they do, it's hard and painful.

And weed does not give that. Like said earlier, it is more a psychological addiction than physical. It changes stuff in the brain? Sure, but so does exercise and habits. That's the point of neuroplasticity -- our behaviours when repeated reinforce pathways. Be it smoking weed or hurting ourselves.

College students may view "addiction" differently and see their overindulgence with the same nonchalance as they do their junkfood binges and their endless Netflix marathon. Except with marijuana, they have at least ground to think it would not be that unhealthy.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It might be of more value to discuss safer marijuana use with students. College kids are always going to smoke it, it's almost like a rite of passage for some. Claims that it is as dangerous as alcohol are always going to be dismissed as the ridiculous statement it is.

More could be achieved by drawing attention to the fact that whilst the dangers of marijuana are nowhere near as serious as those that alcohol presents, you still need to take a little care if you are going to use it. A non-sensationalist, logical approach might be more well received.
    bluedressed likes this.
  13. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Yes, especially since college is supposed to encourage critical, independent thinking: any other approach than this would be seen with the same eye as any dogma that sects, anti-abortion and politicians want to hit you over the head with. 'Scaring' kids with exaggeration is good for when they're younger than that.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

In college its where many get influenced into abusing different drugs. Many who never used to smoke start smoking while they are in college. Abusing drugs while in college can result to expulsion. Abusing drugs in college can affect one's learning habits.
  15. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Since I'm in college, I know that a lot of people my age actually do believe that it's not addictive. I got tired of them insisting that I was wrong, so I started saying that there are some people who are incredibly reliant on it, not necessarily saying it's an addiction.