An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Colonostomy while on subutex

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Scaredandalone, Nov 14, 2017.

1. I am desperately trying to get info from someone that has had a colonostomy while on subutex. Will they be able to put me to sleep and what about pain control. I ask my prescribing physician and he just says no big deal just don't take your subutex for 3 days before your test and they will be able to treat u like anyone else. Well there is a problem with that I will be in full blown withdrawals by the time I go for my test. That scares me to the point I'm probably going to cancel. I need this test because there is something very wrong with my stomach. I'm thinking possibly the subutex has done something to my stomach but doc says no it shouldn't cause any problems with stomach. The doc I'm referring to is my phsiciatrist that prescribes me the subutex. Please anyone that has had this procedure or any procedure where u are put to sleep done please share!!! I'm so scared and can't find anyone that understands. Thanks
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Scaredandalone... I suggest you talk to the doctor/facility that will be doing the procedure. I think they might be able to better answer your questions. Good luck.
  3. Workingonit

Workingonit Member

Are you having a colonoscopy or surgery? If it's the first one, it should not hurt you. The anesthesia they use to put you under is NOT a narcotic - it is a different type of drug so the subutex shouldn't interact. If you're worried about pain control afterwards, like if the procedure causes pain, you can go off the subutex for two days without "full blown withdrawal." Actually, subutex withdrawal should not even start within 2-3 days. But it would probably be best to talk to the doctor doing the test, and ask them if there is any interaction between the sub and the anesthesia.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  4. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

I take Subutex and was in YOUR EXACT SITUATION just the beginning of this year. Mine was a wisdom tooth extraction. But I have noticed that every person is different in the amount of time that it takes for you you to go into genuine full blown withdrawal..
    For me I am,let me stress this point, I AM in full blown withdrawal by day three. I don't even bother leaving the bathroom as I'll just go running right back hopi9I make it in time.
    However I have a very fast metabolism and that's what determines how long the buprenorphine...chemical in Subutex that is the opioid agonist...leaves your system.
    I have had several doctors that are not very familiar with Suboxone/Subutex treatment tell me how you can go a few days without even noticing a difference. NOT TRUE FOR EVERYONE!! This can actually be dangerous to be under anesthesia and be detoxing at the same time, or so my doctor who used to work with me while I was in the methadone clinic said.
    But you shouldn't have to stop taking the Subutex just for the procedure, as long as you let them know that you are taking it. As long as pain management after I have been told by several family members that there is no lingering pain.
    Having said that it still makes me wonder why more people don't realize that buprenorphine is prescribed FOR PAIN in low dose tablets and patches. Patients on ORT can even have a bupe drip instead of other meds for pain management while in the hospital.
    I suggest you talk to your prescribing doctor and go armed with information as so many doctors are not very familiar with your situation. But I have confidence that you are going to be just fine as you are already reaching out for information. Best of luck to you.
    deanokat, True concern and Dominica like this.
  5. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@Scaredandalone i can't be 100%sure but i suspect it has something to do with how opiates and or Suboxone and it's ingredients actually interfere with your bodies natural bowel movements,im sure any person who uses either have noticed constipation while taking these meds and a full blown crisis without it as usually there isn't enough toilet paper in the world once you start to detox so basically i think they are trying to make sure everything is moving in there versus running into road blocks so to speak.I know the description is a bit gross but let's be honest here that's just the reality of how thing's function so maybe just ask your Dr straight out if that's the reason at least you will then find out.Stay Strong and God Bless Take Care
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

Isn't that the truth!!!LoL
    I have literally walked more like shuffled into dollar general and asked an employee to just go get me the biggest package of toilet paper they had and whatever kinda stomach medication that covers quote "everything you've ever heard of".
    I do not miss those days.
    True concern likes this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for weighing in, @Josh111187 and @True concern. Your knowledge and experiences are so helpful. Glad you’re a part of this community!
    True concern and Josh111187 like this.