An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Color Therapy for Clothing?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 11, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Are any of you affected by the colors you wear?

I've noticed that when I go on dates (at night), I like to wear black and red. Black makes me feel sexier and more sophisticated. And red just makes me feel "wow". On the other hand, white, light blue, pink and salmon colored clothing lift my spirits up whenever I look in the mirror.

Some people call this color therapy and will actually wear specific colors to purposefully influence their moods and demeanor. What do you think? Have you ever tried it? Would you ever?
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I have never tried color therapy, but I do know that I am drawn more to specific colors than others. I guess this would be considered color therapy because I only wear certain colors because they just feel right. I know that sometimes, I don't buy things because they are only available in certain colors and they just wouldn't seem like a right fit to me. It seems like they would bring my mood down.
  3. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Color therapy in general is really interesting because color is everywhere. And when it comes to our clothing, jewelry, homes and gardens, we can choose and control the color palette we surround ourselves with.

For example, I know I prefer to live in a home that is filled with light colors. I once decorated my bedroom in all white with a fluffy white comforter. And every time I entered that room, it felt like I was walking into heaven and floating on clouds.

Anyway, if you are interested in reading more on this therapy, here are a couple of links...

http://healing.about.com/cs/colortherapy/a/aa_colortherapy.htm

http://www.energyandvibration.com/color.htm
  4. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Pretty interesting. I will take a look at the links that you have provided. I am wondering if color therapy can be of help to people who are battling addiction or are trying to stay sober. It would make for interesting research.
  5. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Interesting. I have never heard of color therapy but I think it makes sense.

I admit, I wear a lot of black. It's just easy and matches with everything. But there are times when I feel like "ugh! no more black, I need some color in my wardrobe." I also noticed when I see others at my office in bright colors that it does make me feel a bit more cheery when I see them.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I do this even for my house clothes. On days when I'm feeling down I try to wear something nice and bright even if I know I'll just be at home the whole day. I admit that it doesn't alleviate my situation completely but it certainly helps me shift my mindset to some extent.
  7. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Try silver for color therapy. Silver in color psychology, signal a time of reflection and a change of direction as it illuminate the way forward. It helps with the cleansing and releasing of mental, physical and emotional issues and blockages, which opens new doors and inspires the way of one's future.
  8. shandrum

shandrum Member

What an interesting concept!!! I believe it has some truth to it. I always feel different in certain colors. I feel "look at me" when I wear bright primary colors. These seem to be my feel good colors that I like. It's like a crayon box- I love the colors in a crayon box! I also feel a difference when I wear certain shoes. If I wear flats, I feel meek and quiet. But, if I wear shoes like boots or a bit of a heel, I feel more noticed. It's a funny thing to know that these things can actually effect how you feel, but they do.
    valiantx likes this.
  9. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I am definitely affected by the color that I wear. I find that if I wear more bright happy clothes then I am in a much better mood. It might be physiological, I don't know but that is just how it makes me feel. When I wear a lot of black it blah's me out and makes me feel more depressed then when I am wearing brighter better clothes.
    valiantx likes this.
  10. CieraLashae

CieraLashae Member

That is very true. Colors definitely can affect a person's mood. Red, orange, and yellow evoke excitement. While lavender, blue, and green promotes relaxation. White produces a feeling of newness and black produces a feeling of mature sophistication. However, in garments that we wear, color therapy or the psychology of colors goes a step further. It also depends on the relationship of the colors with one's complexion. Some people look really nice in warm colors and others in cool colors. Keep in mind that all colors can either be its purest hue, more cooler, or more warmer. Neutrals such as black, tan, nude, white, cream, etc. looks great on all complexions.
  11. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Someone once told me the same thing about color. Whenever I was "in a mood" I would notice that I was wearing darker colors and I would change to a brighter color. It kind of works, but I think it is also a self conscious thing because there are times when it does not matter what color I'm surrounded by.
  12. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I'm hardly aware of the colors I'm wearing because I'm not looking at myself, but I am very aware of the colors around me. For instance, too much brown and tan is really depressing for me, it tends to look dingy or dirty and just is an overall mood destroyer if I let it. It's really challenging to work in a hotel that has a lot of browns, really makes it hard to stay positive for more than an hour no matter how many things are going well.
  13. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

This is a great concept that I have thought about, but never really delved into or studied. I find myself feeling better in warm or bright colors like yellow, orange, and light green.
  14. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Which brings up an interesting point, the colors depend on the person. Like browns and tans have a calming effect on me because to me they are warm and calming color. So I guess it all according to the persons personal preferences.... say that 10 fast. LOL
  15. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

With time and dedication this can be very therapeutic for some. I have started some meditation after my mom asked me repeatedly to try it. I have a problem with racing thoughts and slowly I want to get off the SSRIs and benzodiazepines I am on. I do not want to take them the rest of my life.
  16. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I had no color preference when it comes to the clothes I will wear or I am wearing. I believe that it depends on every individual what are their belief with regards to the effects of colors to what they are wearing. But when it comes to the color of the things in my surroundings like in our house or in the workplace I always like the color of green....which gives me a relaxing and refreshing effect when I saw this color all around me.
  17. juno

juno Community Champion

I'm totally into color therapy. I think it really helps with your emotions and energy. You will also find that it attracts different energy from people and helps you get different results. For exmple, black and blue are colors of success snd a professional interview.
  18. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

No not really, I could wear black an grey whenever I want and it won't effect my mood in anyway, if I'm happy that day then I'm happy that day, if I'm in bad mood then I will usually stay in bad mood. :p
  19. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I totally agree that the different colors do elicit different emotions and behaviors among people. My personal favorite is yellow. Just seeing how bright it is makes me feel happy already. Also, I always associate the color yellow with happy and positive things such as the sun, sunflower, balloons, McDonalds, marshmallows, and the like, that's why just the sight of it makes me feel good already.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Springbreeze is talking about codes. Color codes and signals basically. Black makes you feel sexier and thinner. Colors also make other people think or feel things. Black is worn by hairstylist and makeup artists. Assassins to make them less visible to do their dirty work. Safe crackers to be less visible and slick.
    Red signals certain things. It also blocks messages from being received telepathically. It is a wow color for a reason. It blocks out most other thoughts and makes you pay attention to it.
    Green is go and also is coded as an association with drugs. Imagine that. Camouflage is the interesting one if you think about it. A khaki green that has odd shaped circles. Some darker and some lighter. The darker ones are almost black, but not quite. What's within this? Go, kill but be selective, perhaps. The military wear this.
    Each color has coded associations. It's interesting.
    I know this woman that would wear white on her first dates with a man. She was married many times over. Lol she said she wanted to plant the idea of marriage in their mind.