An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Comfort Blanket

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by DK01, Feb 13, 2015.

1. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

Has anyone else ever experienced the following scenario? You're an everyday smoker of marijuana and you make a purchase at regular intervals. As you return home from work or whatever outing, you assess what you have left and whether you need to make a purchase....let's say the answer is yes and you begin to call your suppliers. Say those calls don't go smoothly and there might be a problem with availability, then the panic starts to set in, and doesn't abate until the jar is restocked. As soon as you get it, you smoke a joint straight away.

On the other hand say you didn't need to make a purchase and you had enough to get through the evening. You'd get home and do everything you need to do first, which may be a couple of hours worth, and then you smoke. No panic or anything??
    dechantajones likes this.
  2. jon

jon Active Contributor

I would say that you would need to develop a more enlarged perspective about the virtues of being able to enjoy a natural state of mind. Appreciate those times when you are forced to be strait.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The fact that it isn't there and you might not be able to get some right away that makes you panic. When you've got some, just knowing it is there is comfort enough and doesn't create any sense of urgency. Isn't it crazy how the brain works!
    Farris likes this.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Actually marijuana is NOT a basic human need like food, so it's not meant to be a cause of panic if you have no stock left. So I would say that it's not a normal reaction and I think it is one of the signs that you are dependent on it. Please curb your habit before it starts to negatively affect your life.
  5. vikkiwinters

vikkiwinters Member

Yeah I was much the same when I was turbo-addicted, your inability to get a fix makes you terribly desperate to smoke out of fear of being cut off
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

You can probably say the same with anything, not just drugs. The less you have of something then the more inclined you are to want it.
  7. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Its a sign of psychological addiction. In my opinion. But I agree it can be said about many other things depending on the context. If you choose to use it learn to live without it next time your run out for a bit. Make sure you are in control and not your urges before you decide to smoke again.
    Farris likes this.
  8. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

Right, I concur. You need to be able to keep it in perspective (as hard as that may be! lol) but being able to 'use' as needed, not let it go the other way around. Don't let it burn a hole in your pocket! Or your pipe!
    Farris likes this.
  9. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

do you know if you have underlying anxiety issues? It seems as if you do if that is the scenario you are facing. Perhaps incorporate exercise in your daily routine to get away from these panic attacks.
  10. Farris

Farris Member

You oughta see what happens when I run out of milk or (decaf!) coffee! Things get REAL ugly around here-lol!
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's pretty much the same with people who are dieting too - in my experience, they tend to become obsessed with cake and chocolate, simply because they can't have any. This will apply to absolutely anything that someone is trying to quit.
    Farris likes this.
  12. Farris

Farris Member

Thanks (*says dryly*), now I want chocolate cake with my milk and coffee...sigh*
  13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

The panic sets in because when a substance is illegal it's not readily available. You're at teh whim of those who have product. It's not a situation where you have to wait for the store to open to make a purchase. It's a situation with more variables: Does he/she have the weed? What's the cost per weight? Is he/she available to sell me some? Is it quality weed? So on & so forth. That's where panic is inevitable. Especially when there's a need not a want.
  14. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

But I had four constant suppliers when I smoked. The comfort blanket and freak out didn't come from available stock for me, nor did it come from those variables. It came from "I don't have a job, I have to work online for four hours for five bucks for a tensack" and then I would jump to so many sites just wasting my time for more product over and over until I realized if you were frugal and smart, and kicked the habit, you could work online and manage to pay bills if you worked the right sites. So the panic for that came for the mad scramble for money, fronting my from guys, wondering when the paypal would be authorized, the whole nine yards. And it was psychological too.

And then, I also came to the conclusion I could (gasp) start saving up money, instead of 0.00 dollars, my wallet & bank account had a single fly fly from it (bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - the signal of the brokeass). It always made me panic seeing no dollars, and the grind for cash to get more. Until you can see it for what it truly is. Also was depressing seeing all the work go up in smoke (quite literally).
  15. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I don't get anxious when my stash runns out let alone panic, I might get a bit sad about it but I go and occupy myself with something else to keep my mid away from weed because I know it's just weed and nothing more.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

I've gone through the same type of thing, but in a different way, because I was never an everyday smoker. I only smoked on weekends, and only if I was drinking. I got so used to mixing pot and alcohol, that if I didn't have any, I'd get pretty mad. So what I used to do was to check my stash, and if it was low, I'd do everything in my power to get some before the weekend.
  17. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Yes I did DK01, your observation is very accurate. I tended to do the same thing when it came to cigarettes. If I didn't have marijuana and none of my suppliers had any available I wouldn't be able to focus or get anything done until I had some in my possession. My whole day would be focused on finding some marijuana to purchase. If I had enough marijuana I would be able to go all day without and be calm and happy and get things done. This shows that marijuana is very much an addiction.
  18. VicToryn

VicToryn Member

I understand this filing, I had the same problem. Sometimes I felt really stressed as if I'm starting to get depressed and really panic. This all because of the negative influence of marijuana on your brain and nervous system. These are the first signs that you must reduce the dose, and better to stop using it altogether. I would say that you would need to develop a more enlarged perspective about the virtues of being able to enjoy a natural state of mind. That's true that you must appreciate those times when you are forced to be straight. It is better to spend money wisely, to make your loved ones something pleasant https://getphotoblanket.com/collections/collage-blanket. But not waste money on harming your health.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021