New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Coming Out of a Bender

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Supernova989, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Supernova989

Supernova989 Member

Hello world.

l drank about 2 weeks back for the first time in over 14 months. lt only took about a week for my drinking to catapult back to where l left off. Everything l was doing was revolving around alcohol.

My four day bender came to an end today. l’m feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and lonely. Some of this is related to my OCD and other things going on in my life at the moment. Those things l hoped to escape by drinking, of course, did not go away. l guess l’ll keep searching for a way out. The stress is inordinate.

So here l am in day one of sobriety again. l told one of my loved ones. lt feels better being honest with her. lt also makes my sobriety date feel like something l need to hold onto.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Supernova989

Welcome. I'm glad that you are ready to get back on the sobriety track. I'm sure that you realize that no amount of alcohol may be safe for you. Perhaps that's something you had to test out just one last time. Now you can dust yourself off and get back up and start recovery again.

Know that we're here to support you however we can. Feel free to come and share any time.
    True concern likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Supernova989... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. I admire your honesty. Please know that this slip-up doesn't make you a bad person. We're all human and we all struggle at times. So don't be too hard on yourself. You've recognized the mistake you made and you want to get back on the right path again. That's a wonderful thing. Congrats on Day 1. We are here for you. If you need help, support, advice, or just someone to listen to you vent, you can count on us.

One day at a time. One hour at a time. One minute at a time. Whatever it takes, my friend. Have you considered going to support group meetings? They might help you. Just a thought.

Sending you lots of encouragement today.
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  4. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@Supernova989 Man my heart hurts for you,not because of your slip up.. @deanokat is correct we are all human we make mistakes, but I feel bad for your OCD and other things that are going on that you were trying to escape that pushed you back to alcohol (Temporarily) I understand the struggle, I personally fight off multiple addictions a day as I was abusing everything but sunlight, but an injury has me reliant on pain pills to walk before surgery and it took me over ten year's to kick pills,anyways so because I can't walk without something for pain IM kinda trapped and that is just how it is until my surgery and rehab is done but anyways every pill I take pisses me off and pushes me closer to the one substance that will invite them all back....Alcohol I have been off alcohol, meth, heroin,etc for over 6 1/2 month's and i also was a first generation A.D.H.D. kid in the early 80's so I fight hypertension everyday which I can remember alcohol use to help....well not really but IM sure you understand that thought process. I also understand how you may feel about yourself considering the time you feel you lost,however you didn't lose that time you "Accidentally" paused it.You were alcohol free for 14 month's, that's a fact!!As a human it's inevitable that we are going to make mistakes, but we don't have to let those mistakes define who we are..It's what we do after we acknowledge them that will ultimately define us and let ne tell you in all honesty I have been fighting the urge to drink for a little over a week and after reading your story it has restored my conviction to stay away from alcohol, I realize that's no conciliation prize but if nothing else you can accept your courage and honesty have helped one person stay sober and in today's world it's really something special to help and encourage one another as best we can,so as I struggling addict myself I thank you, your story,openness, and honesty have helped me.Stay Strong my friend and God Bless you are not in this alone
    Momboss, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  5. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

I'm glad you're not letting those alcohol cravings overcome you!! Keep the faith!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  6. Supernova989

Supernova989 Member

Thanks for the support guys. l had to work today, but l’m hitting a meeting tomorrow.
    deanokat, True concern and Dominica like this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hope your day went alright yesterday, @Supernova989. Definitely hit a meeting today, okay? And know that we are here for you if you need us. We are happy to be part of your support network.
    True concern likes this.