An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Committed — Writing It Down?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You've probably heard someone say that they need to have it in writing. Thinking of giving up an addiction as a contract you make with yourself wouldn't it be great to have it down in writing so you always remember that you are bound by the terms of that contract to fulfill your contractual promises/obligations?

Do you think an addict would find something like this helpful?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Any type of visual to help a recovering addict with a vision and a goal is a good thing. With the contract there will be guidelines and rules set forth and to see them in written form, should help immensely.
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

In my life, I've only been able to achieve goals that I've written down beforehand. Perhaps you won't achieve those goals quickly, or even efficiently but at least you'll be heading in a more positive direction. If you neglect writing down what you wish to fulfill, chances are that you're not going to make any effort at all. I believe all those trying to recover from any addiction should have a notebook with them at all times, with all their goals and milestones clearly marked down.
    bhu likes this.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Indeed, words are often gone with the wind, but whatever is jotted down acts like a continuous reminder, and is source of satisfaction when goals are attained.

However, writing down what's going on with you before and after recovery is always helpful, not just as a matter of commitment, but for further detection of behavioral or health problems.
    bhu likes this.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am good at writing lists, but I am not sure that I would abide by my own contract if I were to create one. I would do better if it was a contract written by a friend or family member as I feel it would hold more weight with me.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think it will help, but it is not an assurance that they will really commit themselves to that written contract. But yeah, it is a good idea.
    bhu likes this.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I think it could help, especially for those with a certain personality type. I love making lists so I’m one who needs to see things in writing. It’s not always guaranteed that you’ll hold to your own contract, but I do think it raises the chances.
    bhu likes this.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've always been someone that makes lists - even when I was a kid! I always found the idea of writing something down, and then getting to check if off the list was a very accomplished feeling. So without a doubt I think writing something down and having it there in black and white on a page is a good way to commit to it. I also think writing it down has some form of ownership to it too - you're acknowledging your addiction and that you want to overcome it. I've heard the saying that half of overcoming a problem is realizing you have one and this plays right into that!
    bhu likes this.
  9. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Writing is very beneficial for your emotions to let it all out in writing. I used to do that a lot and it really helped me on the inside, even if I had tears all over that paper, while it might be really hard to do but it's emotionally releasing.
    bhu likes this.
  10. juulicob

juulicob Member

I believe having something of that sort in writing could be helpful to an addict. Words are powerful and inspiring. In my personal experience, having little notes posted around my home is a reminder of my goals and what I really want in life. Firstly, writing this "contract" to yourself could feel good to release your true emotions and hopes. Now actually having the will power to follow through is where your writing is truly powerful. I would also suggest posting uplifting quotes or reminders to yourself in random places in your home where you often spend time. Maybe in the medicine cabinet, in your drawers, on the mirror, anywhere your eyes will find it.
    bhu likes this.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That could work to some. There are some people who really find writing a very useful thing to do like listing their goals and activities to do. One can also express himself through writing and can get rid of sad feeling.
    bhu likes this.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I guess it depends on the person. If they will be more "motivated" writing it down, then good for them. I personally do think that if you're determined to make a recovery, a mental reminder would suffice. No need to write it down.
  13. InquiringMind

InquiringMind Member

Writing down your commitment, even if it's just to slow down, is an excellent idea. Our lives get so busy and stressful things always seem to happen at the worst possible time. It's easy to talk yourself out of the commitments you made, or put them off a little longer. There is always that little voice inside your head that tells you to wait until the crisis is over, then quit. But there is always another excuse after that. Writing it down and putting it where you and others can see helps to keep you on track, no matter what may come.
    bhu likes this.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is a good idea. Sometimes writing something out makes it stand out more or be clear. An agreement with oneself. Could even write it over and over many times to get it to sink in. Could do this every day for a certain amount of time. Like a repetitious programming.
    bhu likes this.
  15. It depends on their nature. If they are honor bound, if they hold high opinion of their promises then yes. Something on the wall for them to see every day, to remind them of their goal, their values, their promises and why it's important. Absolutely I think it would be helpful.

Shoot. Something like that helps me everyday, though my circumstances are rather different and I take it up in the form of blogs.
    bhu and Rainman like this.
  16. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you don't have will power to give up addiction, techniques such as writing it down or positive affirmations do not work. The first requirement to give up addiction is you must make an assertion in your mind (not to impress people around you, you must convince to yourself.)
    bhu likes this.
  17. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

I think writing is an excellent form of committing to your goals. Each person is different, as stated above. I also agree that if someone is not committed to their recovery, no amount of writing will help. However, I have noticed that when I write down my goals, they do have a better chance of becoming my reality. Every new moon, I write new goals and more and more of them keep coming true. So why not do this with recovery?
    deanokat and Rainman like this.
  18. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hmmm... I remember the latest episode from The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon was questioned if he can fulfil what's stated in the contract. He said this:

"Oh, please. Any contract I sign is enforced by my own personal code of ethics."

Anyway, just thought that was related. If only all of us have the same code of ethics and OCD-ness as Sheldon. Lol.

Kidding aside, I think it's a nice idea. Seeing something and touching it personally, can be a great way of reinforcing your commitment to sobriety or being clean. It might work for some people as well if they can fully see the contract's written requirements. Of course, it might also not work for some people as they probably won't see the contract as real.