An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Common reason why there are addicts?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 003, Apr 30, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

Why do you think there are substance abusers that eventually lead to addiction? I think the most common reason would be a family issues and problems. Family should be the first and the strongest support each of use shall receive. But if you are face with family problems, there occurs a strong tendency for us to feel shattered and so we resort to some for of escape. Easiest and the most immediate are drugs and alcohol. This is why addiction often happens during teenage, the age we are most vulnerable.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The reasons aren't set in stone. It could be family issues, depression and anomie (e.g. feeling you're all alone or not good enough) and peer pressure (e.g. the need to be as cool as the rest) just to name a few. If society pays more attentions to the reasons, then more preventive measures can be set.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think the most common reason is the influence of peers or what is commonly called as peer pressure. The environment, poverty and lack of guidance are other reasons that I could think of. As well as problems in the family, stress and depression.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

There could be various reasons why some people resort to drug abuse. Probably because it's their coping mechanism and their way of dealing with stress, they want to escape reality for a while. Also, as what you have mentioned, it could be due to family issues or peer pressure/influence.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I honestly think there are many reasons for why addiction happens. There isn't a one size fits all approach to this. It could be as a result of trying to fit in, peer pressure, naivety, the idea of "what's the harm of trying it?", a way of escapism/coping with traumatic life events, as a consequence of depression or other mental health concerns...the list goes on. Some situations are undoubtedly a mix of those factors too. It all depends on the individual.
  6. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

There are addicts because there are people. As long as people are around, they'll be curious. We're all curious but some of us are willing to satisfy their curiosity while others manage to keep it at bay. Those who are unable to withhold their basic instincts fall prey to addiction. This is all an implication of us being so fundamentally different on every level. It kind of makes you wonder why Communism didn't reap success in the long run (I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for that, though).