An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Community's [TVshow] Anti-Drug Skit

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by bluedressed, Feb 1, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I think it was one of the coolest anti-drugs message to kids made, really! In the first part of the act, Pierce had to play drugs, but he did not want to be the bad guy and just got the kids to love him by being fun and crazy, whereas the other members of the skits were just boring the kids out of their mind. This was causing a kind of panic to the group, who really did not want their anti-drugs message to turn into a pro-drug message.

Enters Chang, the crazy Chinese Spanish teacher, who took over the role:

I think that the line "Did you expect me to stay the same forever? 'Cause that's not what drugs are, baby!" is pretty much the most relevant thing that can be said to kids. It looks fun at first, and then it stops being fun, but you're already in too deep and all.

Name of the episode is Pharmacology, I think.
  2. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing, I had not seen that one!
  3. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Okay that guy is cool! Teaching something very important to kids while making it fun is what I really want to see from educators.
  4. bluedressed

Hahha yes. I mean, the point was that at first they tried to do one of these corny things -- and of course kids don't respond to that. They did respond positively to "fun drugs", the old man portraying drugs as this wild and exciting thing -- as one can expect from kids.

And it's true. You can't really tell teenagers that drugs are forbidden because they're not fun, because they'll go against everything that's off limits and when they'll feel how fun it is, they'll call bullshit and won't trust you anymore.

This is why I think this is powerful -- yes, it was fun. NO, it will not stay fun. It is dangerous and has the very solid potential of ruining your life!
  5. Plus

Plus Member

I got a good chuckle out of this one. I like it, though. It'll catch the audience with humor and make them think about it later, which is just what they need when considering consequences of their actions. I think a lot of children really need some guidance of the consequences of their choices, like myself when I was younger. I began smoking as a way to better interact with my coworkers at my first job, which eventually led to a lot of great friends but a horrible addiction. Knowing that you CAN do things without forming a bad habit can make a huge difference. Or even learning you don't need to be 'cool' in order to be happy can make the world of a difference.
  6. bluedressed

See, that reminds me of the episode of How I Met Your Mother where Marshall smokes with his boss because that's his "way in", the thing that makes the guy remember him and appreciate him when before he could not even get his name right! Smoking is for sure a bad one -- so bad on the health, and yet I know so many people who met a lot of their friends just through having a smoke together!
  7. Plus

Plus Member

Or the episode where they all start smoking only to realize they aren't able to stop as easily as they thought! I loved how they really showed the trouble with addiction and made it humorous as well. And then at the end of it they explained when and how they quit. Definitely one of my favorite shows because of the somewhat realistic situations they show with a huge plus on humor.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

This is definitely a fun and interesting way of educating children. Reverse psychology in a way? Thanks for sharing it here! :)