An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Comorbidity

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by kevinkimers, Nov 14, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

"The term “comorbidity” describes two or more disorders or illnesses occurring in the same person. They can occur at the same time or one after the other. Comorbidity also implies interactions between the illnesses that can worsen the course of both." Read More...

This is an interesting topic about the connection between mental illness and drug abuse.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  2. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

I don't think it just mental illness, I think people encountered something in their past they couldn't help or let go and it caused a reaction that is playing out today along with that past pain.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  3. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think there is definitely some link, but drug use is often something people turn to to escape problems in their life, so if someone is struggling with mental illness, they may turn to drugs to cope. Drugs can also damage the brain which could cause mental illness.
  4. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I did not know the term, but I can think of a real world example. Back in my young and stupid days of using meth, two or three of us would drive into the big city to get drugs from this or that person. One of the kids hanging around us at the time was a pretty normal guy, so he went along. When we all started using, we acted "normal", but this kid started saying one thing, and then would flip flop and say the exact opposite. When we saw him again he didn't do it, but the next time we used together, he was acting like two competing personalities again. You guessed it, he had schizophrenia. I don't know if it was a mild version of the condition, and he could control it until he did drugs or what, but it was one of the oddest things I have ever witnessed.
  5. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

Sometimes people self-medicate instead of healing from trauma or abuse. Some addicts watched a family member's struggles with addiction and learned the behaviors, repeating the cycle.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The simultaneous presence of two chronic diseases or conditions. Example; Anxiety and depression in Parkinson's disease.
    I've not heard of that term either. People can certainly have problems like this when they have a disease or condition. There's a great majority that have it already without the other. Its an easy trap. Its all closely related. Its all in how you look at it.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I agree that people with mental disorders are more prone to getting addicted than the mentally stable ones. Also, those with a traumatic past, self-esteem or perceptive issues are also more likely to develop such an unhealthy coping mechanism. I have never heard of this term, though. It will be very useful for my future researches for university assignments.
  8. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

My daughter is an example of comorbidity because she suffers from ADD. Along with ADD, she has generalized anxiety disorder, moderate clinical depression, and oppositional defiance disorder. These conditions are typically found in children and adults that have ADD/ADHD. It makes sense that certain conditions or illnesses would have other components go along with them because of the changes in your body that take place with an illness.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, many people who have mental illness also self medicate with substances. They are trying to stimulate the serotonin ,dopamine and endorphins that make us all feel good. Drugs and alcohol are something that often make people feel good in the moment, only to come crashing back down to earth.
    xanaxsux likes this.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Co-morbidity is more common than most people realize. It's also particularly prevalent in the field of Personality Disorders (think Borderline Personality Disorder or Anti-Social Personality Disorder). The result of constant long-term abuse (and yes, that includes drug abuse), can lead to co-morbidity, just as other forms of abuse can. Unfortunately, this can also result in misdiagnosis or certain illnesses not being acknowledged. It's possible to suffer with a myriad of mental disorders/illnesses at the same time which can sometimes be quite extreme.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Past trauma can lead to drug or alcohol abuse. Sometimes even just stress can lead to drug or alcohol abuse. Overall it
    seems that all forms of abuse is what addicts use to escape problems. Having a mental illness and a drug or alcohol problem can be very dangerous, because you have someone who is impaired and mentally unstable.