An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Compassion

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by anne16, Apr 14, 2015.

1. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

There are treatment facilities or rehabilitation centers everywhere. Most have developed systems designed to help those with substance abuse issues. They have a team of psychiatrists, physicians, nurses, and therapists who provide their expertise. They asses the patients and work out the best treatment methods for them.

However, another invaluable component of the treatment process is the compassion and understanding we can show our friend or family member with drug problem. They should not go at it alone. The support we can give them, the encouragement and comfort will help them as much.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Compassion should be a core part of the treatment. An addict is more likely to fight harder when they know someone understands what they are going through. Being judgmental doesn't help much and that's one mistake most of those who say they support addicts make.

And compassion comes with forgiveness. Addicts do a lot of things they regret and their friends and family should forgive them. When someone gets a second chance to prove that they're trying to make amends for mistakes they made they wouldn't want to screw up again, deliberately, would they?
  3. pinksavage22

pinksavage22 Member

I 100% agree. Compassion, kindness and coming from a loving place is the BEST thing to do when someone is dealing with any tough situation. The scariest feeling has got to be going at something alone and as long as they feel they have support there will probably be a more chance of success (hopefully). I agree with rainman, addicts do things that in a sober state of mind they may not have done and may be embarrassed by their actions, and forgiving them for what they have done and showing them you are still there regardless is the best support a person can show.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

All the specialized government treatment programs won't work until the addict want's to change and it will fail if the person in question doesn't get the compassion for the people around them to get better. Support group is key to sobriety.
  5. DCMY

DCMY Member

I agree with previous statements. A lot of the workers there look at them like they are less human than others. I mean as if those people are not worth like other people are. People make mistakes, it happens, it's in our nature. The main focus should be on making them feel normal, not like some abnormalities who are below society.
  6. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I concur with most of the points and from a "Solo" standpoint, I had no pillars of support. I constantly fell back into bad habits. You NEED someone there pushing, watching. They may seem annoying, but they are out for your better interests and you really should listen to them.

For so long, I did not. And it did not end up well. So I will preach to help friends and become moral pillars. They will make it with help. I know I would've, earlier in my life, if I had people who cared. I think I mainly did them because I wanted to feel "Some type of way" since I didn't get that way from any other aspect of life.
  7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Totally agree with anne16!

When we try to help someone and this someone is not asking for help, our good intention is taken as offense and the addict feels like having one against him or her. Feeling that way may result in the opposite result, having this person increasing their abuse of the substance he/she is hooked up just to bother us, in their perception of the things.

However when someone has made the decision to undergo rehab treatment, this is the moment when we have to show off all our support and made him/her feel is not alone, we are side by side with our comprehension and love to help.