An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Concern for a friend who I think is back on drugs.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Luke MacNeil, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Luke MacNeil

Luke MacNeil Member

I am really worried about a friend of mine who has a history of drug abuse (predominately cocaine). After five years of having being off drugs I've noticed in recent weeks his behaviour is really erratic and he is hanging out with some old friends from his drug taking days. I want to confront him on the subject but don't want him to withdraw completely and lose the opportunity to help. Grateful for the benefit of any one else's experience with friends or family.
    Buttercup likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Luke MacNeil... I would sit down and have a heart-to-heart talk with your friend. Don't be confrontational. Just tell him that you're concerned for his well-being and that you're there to support him. Talk with love and empathy, not anger. Ask him if there's anything you can do for him. Hopefully, he'll open up to you. If he doesn't, don't press the issue, though. You'll have planted the seed and in time he may decide to share more with you. That's my two cents.
    Buttercup likes this.
  3. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

4. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.you're going to have to approach with caution and care. It's pointless approaching him if you think he's high or if his behaviour is not normal.when you do get him in a fairly good mood just bite the bullet and talk to him "don't talk at him"there's a big difference between the both. Tell him that your concerned about him and more importantly that you care about him.you're going to have to be patient and at the first signs of confrontation back off. Addicts don't like to be confronted or preached to if you don't go in too hard at least you won't push him away as often happens.gently dose it. I hope you manage to get trough to him all the best and God bless you