An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Concerned soon to be grandmother

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by Valerie, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Valerie

Valerie Member

I just found out yesterday that my son, who has PTSD and missing for two years, has a pregnant girlfriend and they both have been using meth. They both were arrested a few days ago. I found out that the baby is due Friday, February 23, 2018. I am scared to death for this child. The mother may have seen a doctor once during the entire pregnancy. Help, I don't know what to do?
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Valerie thanks for reaching out. i'm sorry to hear that about your son and his gf, and the baby. As a concerned parent for the welfare of the baby, do you feel that baby is safe? I don't know legally what you can do. If it were me, I'd make some calls perhaps to social services to see my options... the safety of the baby matters. Also, how reliable is the source that says they are for sure using meth?
  3. Valerie

Valerie Member

4. Valerie

Valerie Member

They were both arrested last week in Arizona. We don’t even know how they got there. They do have the girlfriend in the medical ward of the jail. I was told this by the chaplain at the jail. They each have several charges and my son is looking at 5 years. The girlfriend is looking at more. I really don’t know the girlfriend and have never met or spoken to her. I started looking at her Facebook page and just so happened to find her mother. I told her of the situation and found out she has 4 other children from previous men that she does not have custody of. Her Mother spoke to her and she has done Meth up until she was arrrested last week and now she is due to have a C-section on this Friday. The other grandmother plans to go to Arizona to try and get custody of the baby. I don’t feel that they deserve to have this child because of their actions.
    What would a court do?
  5. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Valerie thanks for sharing further. i'm sorry your son will have to go to jail... but... maybe this will be the rock bottom he needs to make some changes?

i don't know what a court would do. i'm not familiar with this type of thing... but i agree the baby needs a loving home. do you feel the grandmother would be that loving presence? that could afford you some peace of mind on the matter.