An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Concurrent addiction

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by remnant, Mar 25, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

There are cases where an addict stops abusing a particular drug but instead of quitting, he or she transfers or compensates the vacuum left by the addiction by taking another drug. For example, one quits drinking alcohol but instead starts abusing marijuana. Has anyone come across such cases?
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, and I think that is quite common. If you are addicted to something and stop it. There is a vaccum where the addiciton was. You will either restart with the previous addiction or switch to something completely different like you mentioned. It is the crossover effect. That is why balance is so important, because even if it is exercise it is still addiciton.
  3. Mojo11

Mojo11 Member

I agree with kgord in that I too believe it is very common. In my opinion, the brain is still looking for something to replace the feelings of the high that was lost when the drug of choice stopped entering the addict's body. I have known people that became addicted to not just another drug or to alcohol, but to shopping, or sex, or eating, or exercise as kgord noted. The addict misses that rush, and also the feeling of "something to look forward to", for lack of a better term.

Keeping busy is important.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I believe transferring from one form of addiction to another is just a way of exploring various substances and not aiming to stay off them. If the person is serious to stay away from addiction, he needs to fight such cravings through therapy or getting physically busy.

It is very unhealthy to be into too many substances since they can ruin the body system.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Trading an addiction for another is quite common, and it really doesn't solve the problem. They should divert their thoughts first and foremost to something productive so that they won't be enticed to look for other vices.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've definitely known of people who have bounced from one to another - I think that ultimately, unless you delve deeper to the root cause of what's causing an addiction in the first place, then overcoming one can just be the gateway to another. As hard as it can be I think it is really important to ascertain what's causing the addiction in the first place.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Abusing anything is bad for you. I think abusing one thing to replace another, is like picking a lesser of two evils. I really think it makes no since to start abusing something else and still be addicted. Between alcohol and marijuana both can be harmless in moderation, but if you abuse either one it can be a problem. Addiction is addiction no matter what it is your using.
  8. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I've seen a lot of cases where this has happened, and I'm a strong believer that it's not getting over an addiction even in the slightest. If you have to fill that void with something else addictive, then you're still addicted.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't really met people like this but a few years ago, there was this A.A. Center really close to my house, and everyday I walked outside of it, and they were always smoking during the meetings, always. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing but smoking is still really dangerous. I don't think that one substance should be compensated with another one.
  10. yeahand

yeahand Member

Smoking is the biggest replacement of them all, and sometimes coffee but not as much. I know a lot of ex addicts of various kinds who smoke more now that they've quit. Myself included. And some of the older addicts I know drink coffee all day and evening. (although that in itself isn't so odd)
    anorexorcist likes this.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The easiest way to kill a bad habit or any habit is to replace it with another. Many addicts who find it hard to stop using drugs often think that switching to a less addictive drug will make it easier to beat their addiction but if they successfully manage to beat the first addiction they'll find that by that time they'll have got addicted to the other drug. This is why it's never advisable to fight an addiction by using a "less harmful" drug.