An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Confronting drug addicts head-on(Fed up women)

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by jeremy2, Nov 1, 2014.

1. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I have witnessed first hand, women raiding pubs in the wee hours of the morning to flush out their spouses who are chronic alcoholics who would rather spend time in the pubs to enjoy their tipple than be with their wives. And what angers these women most is that these men have absconded their duties and have relegated them to their wives. These women claim that the men have denied them their conjugal rights because their excessive drinking habits have rendered them close to being impotent! The women are then left to fend for their families from the meagre resources at their disposal.
  2. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

When I look back on my experience, substance abuse brings with anger, resentment and jealousy - to name a few. Loneliness is the worst, knowing that your partner is out at 'that bar' hurts really bad. You want to try and make your partner see how hurt you are, that you're tired of being left alone and when you do something, anything to show it that most likely it will make them just as angry as you are and continue to drink.

My personal resolve was to wait, wait, and wait until I decided what I wanted to do for myself. I'd ask myself what would it be like without my partner; if I'm going to stay with my partner then what can I do to make me happy, self- fulfilled. I felt that my partner's problem had become mine and I didn't want anything to do with it.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yeah that is a tricky situation for the people around addicted people. It is a fine line of asserting yourself and just venting out your frustration aimlessly. In my opinion, it varies in every situation depending on the type of people involved and what circumstances they are in, but I agree that in general wives just have to snap their husbands back into reality the best they could. I just hope that being confrontational wouldn't be necessary.
  4. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

You know what ticked me off more than that? When he would ruin every vacation we went on. Every time, he swore he would not drink, and all but one he got hammered. For some reason, in the party capital of the world--New Orleans--he was completely sober. In Bahamas he fell out of the shower and ripped the towel rack off the wall. I had to go buy superglue cause the room was on my credit card. In alaska he was drinking in the airport before we even got there. In Aruba he was so drunk he could not fly home, so I left him there. And to top it off.. he never contributed a dime to my travels, so I allowed myself to pay for trips I could not enjoy!