An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Confused About Methadone and It’s Purposes

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Stevenson, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Stevenson

Stevenson Member

If Methadone is a narcotic pain reliever, how can it be used to help narcotic addiction?
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I believe the thought is take someone who is abusing high powered opiates which you can accidentally overdose on such as heroin and trade it for methadone slowly decreasing the tolerance and the dose.I PERSONALLY don't think methadone is the correct choice as replacement for someone who say is addicted to Vicodin or Norco or Loratab.But you do pose a good question.I PERSONALLY believe someone taking such pills is better off decreasing the dose of such pills without trading it for methadone, However if on Heroin or a high dose of Fentanyl or Oxycontin then methadone may work but I believe there are better choices in today's world,10-15 year's ago I think methadone was the go to for such addiction
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  3. Aodafml2

Aodafml2 Active Contributor

I can tell u 1st hand it serves a purpose for recovery only if its short term program...that's not usually the case.
    The dispensaries make way to much$$$ to help u get off.....
    It was invented by the nazis back in the day because USA and allied forces had control of the poppy fields..the germans needed pain killers for soilders... actually google has all your answers....I wont ramble on like I normally do.....good luck
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Stevenson

Hello and welcome. That is a great question and @True concern has given you some insight on the matter. I'm not an expert, but I can see the value of something like methadone or Suboxone to help people get off of the more harmful opiates. But I do think they should always be with the intent of weaning off everything sooner rather than later. I know that's not always easy though.

Feel free to keep coming back and know that we're here for you.
    True concern likes this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

True concern likes this.