An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Confusion about state of withdrawal timeline

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by DoxyMom, Jan 31, 2019.

1. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

I'm new and researching places to get help. One I'm interested in,says you have to be withdrawing for 20-24 hours, but in another part for intake it says you can't be actively withdrawing. This makes no sense.In the first requirement, that would make me actively withdrawing. I understand when they prescribe Suboxone, you need to be so long away from your last dose but these two statements contradict each other. I know I should just call them but was hoping for input from someone who has been thru this.
    I suffer from chronic pain and had a prior bad experience with Suboxone so would like to try Methadone as my MAT. Many Drs. Now push for the Suboxone and Vivatrol and don't even use Methadone, but this one is near me and does. There are more places to explore but I'm sure they all have many of the same policies so knowing this can help me decide when to stop. I have to work,and I can't do that "sick" so figuring out my timeline is important.
  2. True concern

True concern Moderator

I believe what they are saying is 20-24 hour's after last dose before they can give suboxone and I believe the other part is to monitor how sick you get from the withdrawal process,I think they want you in NOT withdrawing to monitor 20-24 hour's before they can give you suboxone I think they just did a poor job of explaining it,however if you have l8fe long chronic pain then maybe methadone is the way to go but that's only if you will forever need something for pain but just so you know after about 6 month's off opiates the pain receptors respond differently and it's highly possible if you get completely sober you're pain will go away for good as you're receptors are currently in sensory overload and thus could actually be causing the pain you say will never go away. Really think about this pain you speak of and try to recall the time line of when it really got bad.Was it possibly when you started abusing opiates really bad?If so I think you can find life long sobriety pain free
    Dominica likes this.
  3. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

Thanks so much for responding. The stupid thing is that the chronic pain was bad before the abuse, but I'm sure the abuse hasn't helped. The abuse started after I was in Pain Mgt and given way too many pills to handle it. During this time I've since had a spinal chord stimulator implanted so maybe it will work better once I'm off the drugs.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I think @True concern's reply is spot-on, @DoxyMom. But to be sure, I would call them. That would be the best thing.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  5. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@DoxyMom i'm sorry you are struggling with so much pain... :(

i don't know much about this topic, but just wanted to let you know we hope you find a solid answer and solution!!
    True concern and deanokat like this.