An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Conscience issues

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by remnant, Mar 30, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Some people work in industries which are involved in the production of alcohol. The interesting thing is some work even in the production lines in a brewery but are confessed teetotallers. This raises issues of conscience. You are into the production of a beverage you don't consume and with health reasons to back your position. Whats your view on this?
  2. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

That is always tricky and something each individual has to come to terms with. I suppose some people just see it as a job and don't really think about it as making alcohol. They have a family to support and see it as nothing more than a paycheck.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's a sad fact of life that sometimes we have to compromise our principles, especially when we have mouths to feed and that there are people relying on us. Take this friend of mine for example. He's a very good artist and is one of the pillars of the comics industry here in my country. He was commissioned to illustrate a comic book depicting the heroics (?!?) of this particular politician. When the comics came out, they received lots of backlash because of the comic. People said that the scenes depicted there are untrue and that the artist, the writer and the politician himself are lying to the people. My illustrator friend defended himself and said that he was just doing his job. Some people said that if he had principles, he wouldn't accept the offer. But can that so called principle feed his family? There are a lot of reasons why people do things. I guess we can't really understand their motivations unless we stand in their shoes.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I know people who work in breweries and never have they been influenced by what they produce. I think there is much to do than the thought of actually consuming. Some of these people are occasional drinkers but when they are at work, there is never a time the thought comes to mind.

I guess it's all about the discipline and commitment to work.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If taken in moderation alcohol isn't bad. That's why they always add their drink responsibly statements to ads that promote the alcohol. So someone might work for a brewery or distiller and still have clean conscience because they expect people to drink responsibly.
  6. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

People who manufacture pharmaceuticals and pharmacists do not take the drugs they are working with. I don't think there is anything wrong with working somewhere and not consuming the product. I sometimes work as a waitress and don't eat that kind of food :D Seriously. I grow most of my own food and try to avoid chemicals, non-organic food, and weird fats. That means there is nothing I want to eat at the restaurant I work at. I also do not think alcohol is unhealthy. In moderation it can actually be good for you. Beer is high in B-vitamins and wine has high levels of antioxidants and other things.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is really all up to them. If some one chooses not to drink but works in a industry that produces alcohol, it's not immoral at all. Alcohol is not pure poison or something. In moderation alcohol can prevent heart attacks, but if someone abuses it health problems will follow. It's the responsibility of anyone who consumes alcohol not to get carried away. When someone promotes reckless behavior involving alcohol that they don't take a part in that's immoral.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I know many people who have worked in alcohol industry. When they joined, they were sober man. By the time they retired, they were alcoholics. In my opinion, you should always avoid working for a industry that produces products that may ultimately harm your mind and body.
  9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Well, I worked in the fast-food industry at one point, but I hardly consumed much of this take away food due to how unhealthy it is. Did I feel a sense of guilt? Certainly, even though many of the customers knew that the food they were eating did not offer good nutrition. I assume people working at a brewery are in the same boat.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

For a lot of people working in breweries, its just a pay check. On tv when the producers or owners are interviewed, they usually sound very passionate about what it is they are making. Then you have the connoisseurs who like to smell the wine, swish it around their mouths like mouthwash and whatever else they do. If people really felt bad, they wouldn't even go into business making alcohol.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I find that instance to be kind of creepy, because yes I have met a lot people who work in that business and are also teetotalers... that makes one thing: what the heck are they putting in those things for those men not wanting to drink it? I can imagine there is a reason there are so many teetotalers in that line of work... mmm. Similar to someone working in the cold cuts industry (not pretty).
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not really sure... But one of my friend works on a industry that makes cigarettes and he's and he stopped smoking about two months ago, I asked him why and he said that since he started to work there, his point of view about cigarettes changed, he's more conscious now about how dangerous smoking is... But not everyone is like this, so it depends on the person.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

People need to support themselves and their families. I'm sure it crosses their minds but at the end of the day, we all need an income to survive. We all have opinion on usage and it's a shame some people are put in the situation that they have to work in a environment that is based on the manufacturing of it.
  14. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

What's so unethical about being involved in the production of alcohol? It's widely-known: consuming alcohol in large quantities is bad, and it's being advertised absolutely everywhere. Alcohol is definitely not as bad as drugs are... if you are involved in producing drugs, then you might have a real problem, but... alcohol? I don't see anything bad about it, nor with anyone involved in producing it.
  15. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I have a deja vu on this one. It seems like I already wrote on this topic once. Anyway, in environment like this, no jobs, no money no food. We do not choose jobs usually. I wouldn't like to work in a butcher shop since I love animals and I do not eat meat but If I had to I would work no questions asked. It is not a moral thing to do and I would feel terrible but if it would bring food for my family I wouldn't hesitate one moment. Priorities are simple things.