An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

conspiracy?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by pwarbi, Apr 19, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It seems that more and more people are becoming aware of the risks of addiction to prescription drugs these days, sadly because more and more people are having to deal with the problem.

But are the pharmaceutical companies behind this? Obviously to them, making money is the bottom line, it's their business to make money out of manufacturing the drugs so wouldn't it make more sense for them to make them as addictive as possible? More addicts equals more money...
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think to some degree they let it pass without much question and at the back of their minds they do know that the product they will eventually be selling might have some side effects but I don't think they set out for it to be that way specifically. I'm not too knowledgable in the industry so I'm just guessing here, but I don't think there's a grandiose plan to get everyone hooked.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that those drugs are really met to be a kind of addictive drugs. Those drugs are for certain health conditions or illnesses. Using those incorrectly could lead to abuse or addiction.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It's in the interest of multi-national pharmaceutical companies to sell as many drugs as possible, be it through medical practitioners or independently in the various outlets where you can obtain drugs over the counter without a prescription.
    Many people these days suffer from the side effects of polypharmacy, needing ever more drugs to deal with the symptoms that arise from consuming their daily drug cocktails. (Polypharmacy is the use of four or more medications by a patient, generally adults aged over 65 years. It is most common in the elderly, affecting about 40% of older adults living in their own homes.)
    So, yes, there is a lot more behind the massive amounts of drugs that get prescribed to the population these days than the eye meets.
  5. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Yeah. That might be true.
  6. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

I think with some meds the makers are not completely sure what they do, or what portions of the brain they effect. Case in point SSRI's that are used for mood and anxiety disorders, the research is it effects the serotonin re-uptake, yet there is not much information on what the effect is on long term use, although there has been some talk that the effects from using these drugs seem to be permanent, there have even been articles to suggest that the effects can be detrimental in fact to the point of suggesting some users can become killers.

I can not imagine that taking a fistful of drugs everyday is a good option. I can see where an elderly person would start to relate the drugs with longevity, however some of the side effects are pretty scary. All I can think when I see someone take many drugs a day, is how many pills does it take to actually overdose?
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It could be possible and some of them do put in warning about the dangers of addiction on some prescriptions and some companies don't care what happens to the people and want profit as well. Some companies are uncertain with what could go wrong and also, the dangers of what could happen to the health of the person which is sad to see happen sometimes in this world. I think companies should learn more and look at what it does and also, what can be the side effects of taking it and not just approve it so easily.
  8. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I believe it's intentional, to a degree. That new add medicine I heard about ( the new one being abused on college campuses?) is more dangerous with no more benefits. They are legal drug dealers. I honestly believe they could make a strong pain killer that isn't addictive. But then people wouldn't need as many. They care about the people as much as a crack dealer standing on the street corner.its all about money.
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I totally agree with that 100%. I think it's become all to common for pills to be the cure all. No matter what your problem it seems they have a pill for it. I say to that B.S people wake up, and see what is going on.
    Rubyrose and kana_marie like this.
  10. kana_marie

I'm dependent on pills for some things. I take more than I ever imagined without getting high. But it keeps me sane and alive. I have to take them for epilepsy with stress triggered seizures , insomnia, and hypertension mainly. I could take Xanax and get all those benefits from one pill. But for obvious reasons I don't. So here I am lining the pockets of some of the richest people in the world, all because they can't make cheap meds or combine them into one without making it addictive.
  11. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Stop with the conspiracy theories already. It just so happens that powerful drugs are required to treat certain conditions, especially heavy, chronic pain. The pharma companies don't have some big conspiracy to get everyone on pills, and I know that you can't show evidence to the contrary. Big pharma has done some pretty shady things in the past, but they're not making inherently addicting substances even more addicting. These substances are inherently addictive because they make people feel better, and some have to make people feel high to make that happen.
  12. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I must admit that many of the systems of this world are corrupt. However I think that the pharmaceutical companies are doing much of their work to save people and not the kill them. If you destroy people then you have no source of income. It's in the very nature of people to over use and abuse things and that is the real root of the problem.
  13. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I enjoy the theories behind this because I would not be shocked if there was some truth behind all of these theories. I feel like only a select few of insiders within the pharmacy corporations know the truth behind this. I think that they make these pills addictive on purpose, I'm not gonna lie about that. That brings more money in and that means a positive profit.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I would say agree to disagree. The shadiness of the pharma in recent years make me want to trust them less and less. I would not be shocked if some of the conspiracies were true.
  15. kana_marie

Pharmaceutical companies pay doctors to prescribe certain medications. The more they prescribe the more money they make. When they do that, do you really think its because they have the patients best interest at heart?

It's possible to make a pain medication that doesn't give you the euphoric feeling. The euphoria is what's addictive, not the pain relief. It's possible to make an anxiety medicine that doesn't make you addicted. But how often do you see these? There are 2'chronic conditions that very often can't be proven or disproven... Some types of pain and anxiety. Anyone with the right story can go to a doctor and get those medications... Especially an addict.
    You have no idea how much money this companies made off of me.
    The fact is pharmaceutical companies care as much about the customers as insurance companies and banks. To think otherwise is just a little naive.
    Why do you think medication that is necessary to live costs more than my car payment every month, when they make it for pennies on the dollar?
  16. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

The conspiracy theory is true and valid. In US, FDA wields some power, but in 3rd world countries, it's a big nexus between drug manufacturers, doctors and laboratories that do bloodwork. Doctors get paid by both drug companies and labs in order to get them, more patients. This is where the ethics of a doctor are questionable. A medical board must be constituted and the statistics of various prescription drugs must be audited.
  17. kana_marie

Even the FDA can't be trusted 100%. When the fDA would send someone to look into saccharin, they would alway come back and submit a report that says its all good, along with their resignation. Then they would go work for the company they investigated. Corruption and freed are everywhere. The one thing those 2 things have in common is the idea that people are just numbers and dollar signs

18. I think so. There have been reports saying that it is not a conspiracy. That there are actually chemicals added to drugs (and food) that have addictive properties in it. The drug companies stand to gain a lot of money from it all.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

And that's the problem. If all the medicine and treatment worked, then half the companies would go out of business as they wouldn't be needed any more.

While I'm not saying that they deliberately make things addictive or sell medication knowing it doesn't work, it does make you wonder what treatment has been made that's effective but isn't made available.
  20. Taki

Taki Member

As a recovering drug user I can tell you this. I don't want a pain medication that does not contain some type of euphoric effect.

Its not because of my addictive nature either. Its my personal opinion that the euphoric effect is a very important aspect of pain relief in that it takes away some of the trauma associated with severe pain. Its the mental as compared to the physical relief in the "relief" aspect of pain relief.

Can it lead to addiction? Perhaps, but used properly it is an absolutely essential aspect of treating pain.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling good. The bad..and thus the addiction aspect comes in with poor judgement on the user. With that said, no one in severe pain can make rational decisions very well and need an outsider looking in to help balance the skew mindset that severe pain can bring a person.

I am in pain nearly all the time and I take Percocet 10's twice a day for pain. I have been doing so for ten years now although I initially started with 5's and it was only recently that my doctor upped me to 10's because of my body either getting used to the medication or my pain getting worse as I get older. Do they give me a euphoric effect? Yes they do. Does that make me an addict? No. Not in my mind nor in my doctor or therapist's minds either. What they do is take away pain that makes my life miserable. And they do it better than those substances where big pharma has tried to remove the euphoric effect. Something as a company they would have never done without the urging of government in the name of fighting the drug war.

I am against the abuse of drugs as much as anyone. I have to deal with idiots all the time in my job who are stoned or drink and they are just plain silly. But to take an effective method of pain relief and intentionally make it less effective is a greater crime in my mind than someone abusing a drug. I have never abused my medicine nor do I intend too. Abuse can be avoided through mindfulness and rational thought.