An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

conspiracy?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by pwarbi, Apr 19, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I'm the kind of gal that can barely take an excedrin without craving more, (that's an exaggeration, but you get the point). I'm terrified of becoming an addict again. If I'm in severe pain I had rather have the choice. If it doesn't work quite as well, but keeps me from having to worry about becoming addicted again, I'll take it. The way it stands right now I have only 2 choices... Pain or relapse.
  2. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I hate using the word 'conspiracy' because of it's negative connotation. It tends to paint a picture of incredibility and paranoia. Regarding this topic, though, I think it'd be completely realistic if something was going on because it's about money. For companies, money is not uncommonly prioritized over people's wellbeing and health.
    kana_marie likes this.
  3. kana_marie

I don't like using the word "conspiracy", either. Not only because if you use that word they equate it with you being a nut, but also because people will close their mind to the possibility of it actually being one.
    blur92 likes this.
  4. Taki

Taki Member

The thing is, I really don't care if I get addicted to the drug in this case. I'll likely be on it or something like it for the rest of my life unless some "miracle" comes along to deal with the pain in another manner.

Another thing to take into consideration is this. Nothing you ever take really gets rid of all the pain....generally it just take a large part of it away. The euphoric effect just makes me not care about what remains.

Don't get me wrong....I believe addiction is a very dangerous state of being to be in if it is not essential to improving quality of life....something that for most "pill-heads" it is not....likely more so the reverse.

Perhaps you would benefit from taking something that you have to get from a pain clinic once a day or something. Something you don't have access to all the time and doses are measured out to you. Not all areas offer services such as this but most big cities do from what I hear.
    kana_marie likes this.
  5. kana_marie

There are pain management clinics all over the place here. But they're infamous for over prescribing and not checking your meds. I knew a guy who was prescribed 4 30mg oxy's, and 2 80mg oxy's everyday. He was never drug tested to make sure it was in his system, and his meds were never counted. I think it's safe to say this guy saw me more often than any of my friends or family
  6. Taki

Taki Member

OMG that is a lot of OXY.

Did this guy really have a pain problem or was he an addict?

I take 10 mg of OXY a day for pain management and I gotta tell you.......I'm doing OK. I'm not sure I could handle any more than that and live a normal life.
  7. kana_marie

This guy was seriously in pain. He gotten in a motorcycle accident but they wouldn't fix his back. His spine splintered. After that he took Tylenol by the handfuls for the pain, and killed his liver. After the liver transplant he still couldn't get his back fixed so pain management gave him the oxy's. the last thing he needed was to kill his new liver trying to get rid of the pain, like he did before the transplant. He went through a phase where he wanted to get effed up so he start crushing and snorting. After he got some horrible kind of pneumonia from it, he cut down a lot on what he took. But the doctor kept giving him all of them
  8. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Exactly. Most people will not take the possibility seriously when they hear that word despite how likely it actually is to happen.
  9. kana_marie

If you called it by any other name, someone might take it a little more serious. And that's really horrible because it just goes to show how brainwashed the masses are.
    blur92 likes this.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I kinda agree with you, OP. I for one can't trust the pharma business, they are so sneaky! I mean, after checking the side effects of many meds over the last few years, I'd be lying if I said I don't suspect they actually want to make us more sick than we were before taking their meds.

I mean, meds like ''Spironolactone'' are still being prescribed in a lot countries and the FDA is ok with it. According to several studies this medication has caused cancer in many patients... And this is just one of so many meds I've found to have similar side effects... So yes, I don't trust the pharma business, not one bit.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I don' trust them either. Can you believe the FDA hasn't banned dangerous medications like
    Spironolactone and Norfloxacin??? When it has been proved and documented those two medications have side effects that are far worse than the things they are supposed to ''cure''? Check the side effects of those two and tell me if you don't think the FDA isn't up to something (along with the pharma business, of course). I really think those two work together...
  12. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hmmm... I must admit this topic got me to think deeper about drugs and their addicting effects. This theory could indeed be possible. Who wouldn't want more money these days right? I am aware that doctors do have a certain percentage whenever a patient buys the brand if medicine they prescribe but I never ever thought of conspiracies regarding pharmaceutical companies until now. It's a thought to ponder upon.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. However, like most things I think there's some truth to both sides so while some medication are made to cure completely, there might be some that are just being pushed for money which I'm guessing is probably majority at this point.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

That's the problem with the world and probably always will be. Money makes the world go round as they say and to many, making millions of dollars is a lot more interesting than saving millions of lives.
  15. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I agree with you. It does appear there is a pill for this and a pill for that. "Did you accidentally burn your tongue for a second when you grabbed a hot piece of food and it hurts? We have a pain pill for that!"
  16. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I personally think that to some extent they are meant to be addictive because it will increase sales, but most of the time pharmaceutical companies can't avoid this addicting side effect since it would decrease the qualitative effect of it. At least this is what I think of the situation.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Its pretty obvious. People would like to think there are good intentions and there are some, but not much. Antibiotics destroy the immune system, that's one. I mean sometimes it can't be avoided. There's no money in curing people or healthy people. There's plenty of money to be made when they say, "you're going to need this for the rest of your life." The famous last words for the residual income.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I do think that people are starting to open their eyes a bit more now to what the drug companies, and even the government is doing.

There's also a story that there's a cure for cancer but with the amount of money being made from the drugs, it's being kept away from the public in the interest of making money.

I'm not really a conspiracy theorist but sometimes of what you read and hear does make a lot of sense and you do begin to wonder.
  19. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I am not sure I would say the pharmaceutical companies are behind it, of course anything is possible. I just think that the relief that these drugs provide for patients is what causes it. I know they are pain meds, sleeping pills or whatever other drugs are abused but that's what they were made for so the companies are not to be blamed. People just need to learn that too much of one thing is never good.
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No, companies don't make the pills more addictive (they would be shut down if they did so), but instead people develop more addictive behaviors because of their increasing stress levels. Let's be serious now, prescription drugs are the easiest to get your hands on, and some of them are cheaper than street drugs. Also, people won't look down on you because of taking pills. I see them as a "diplomat's drugs".