An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Contaminated Cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Sparkster, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I remember reading a few years back that bags of marijuana that had been seized from dealers in the UK had been weighed down with tiny beads of glass to give it more monetary value. There was quite a bit of speculation about the possibility of someone having their throat cut accidentally, should they inhale any of this glass. Another problem mentioned was that many dealers are now growing it in their attic, a dusty and damp environment and even contamination with asbestos has been mentioned. What do you think? Is some of the marijuana on the streets contaminated?
  2. Glen

Glen Member

From what I have heard, buying marijuana off the streets always has a risk of being contaminated or laced with something- possibly fatal. You have no way of knowing. Wood dust, glass, and cocaine have been put into marijuana, and have often lead to unpleasant or deadly results. Legalizing marijuana in some places was definitely a step forward regarding this topic, as the marijuana sold legally is much, much cleaner and altogether safer than anything bought off the streets.
  3. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Laced cannabis isn't nearly as big of a problem in the US as it is in the UK, but it still exists. Reducing the risk of purchasing adulterated substances is a huge argument for legalization and regulation.
  4. Sparkster

Legalization may solve the problem in some areas but not in others. For example, marijuana has recently been completely decriminalized in Uruguay. However, users are now permitted to start their own smoking clubs and are permitted to grow their own plants - therefore the risk of contamination in Uruguay has not been eliminated in any way, shape or form. In fact, the way things being done there could lead to an increase in contaminated marijuana. Putting cocaine into it? I have never heard of that and imagine it would be very costly (and would eliminate profits) considering the cost of cocaine compared to marijuana. Also, it would have to be crack cocaine, as normal cocaine cannot be smoked.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It would reduce but not completely eliminate the problem. Those dealers who want to make more profits would still lace some of the cannabis they sell with whatever it is they want and also sell some which is OK. When money is part of the equation, ethics are cast out of the window and the unscrupulous dealers won't have any regard either for legalization [of the drug] or the lives of those who'll be consuming this lethal type of cannabis.
  6. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Contaminated marijuana isn't as uncommon as you might think. It's usually contaminated with something, although that something extra might just be fillers or something that's not necessarily harmful. Tainted and actually dangerous marijuana, whether laced or containing harmful substances, does float around the general supply, though. It's just another danger that marijuana users face when trying to find some weed.
  7. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

That's just something that comes with buying marijuana off the streets. It's only been relatively recently legalized, but I look forward to seeing how Washington and Colorado will continue with the marijuana industry. So far, it seems pretty good, and the government is also getting taxes from the sales. I think the regulation of this is better than accidentally inhaling dangerous chemicals from who knows where.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think anything that's not regulated carries some risks and it's why people are advised not to buy any food that hasn't been inspected. Personally I think that's even more of a reason to push legalization and regulation because the risks in cases like these far outweigh the supposed risks of having it legalized.
  9. Sparkster

Also, many people who grow the marijuana in the first place often use steroids and other such substances to make the plants grow quicker and to make them more potent. If the plants are not flushed out properly then they will still be laced with those chemicals.
  10. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I have heard of this happening but it seems relatively uncommon in north America. I have heard of a few people having bad reactions to weed but I've never heard of anyone dying from it. At this point legalization seems to be spreading so hopefully this will become less and less of a problem.
  11. Sparkster

The thing is, even though the legalization of marijuana is becoming increasingly more widespread, the problem is that the actual production of marijuana in many places that have legalized it is still not regulated. In Uruguay, for example, people are now permitted to grow their own which, if anything, could lead to an increase in contamination. I have known people to suffer adverse side effects from consuming marijuana that probably hadn't been flushed properly.
  12. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I would be more concerned about the effects of marijuana on my health than the hygienic condition of some weed whose origin is questionable.But then again,who am i to judge your preferences? My only concern is that this being a drug abuse forum,your post was in bad taste.
  13. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

You would be more concerned about using cannabis, which hasn't ever caused a direct death, than inhaling microscopic glass shards or asbestos fibers into your lungs? I find that hard to believe.

How exactly was the post that you quoted in bad taste? I can't find a single sentence in that post that condones drug use.
  14. Sparkster

Actually, your post is in bad taste - I do not use marijuana and never once stated that I do, you are making false assumptions. It's also not my own health as a result of using contaminated marijuana that I'm concerned about, as you suggest - I do not use marijuana so I have nothing to worry about there, yet you have assumed (again) that these are my own personal preferences when that is not the case at all. As you pointed out, this forum is about drug abuse and contaminated drugs is a big part of that. Your post was in terrible taste, stop making assumptions.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well obviously it's not the best. Certainly not grown in rich soil with filtered water. Lol sounds like these people might be desperate to grow and sell. Hard times I guess. I'm pretty sure the regulations for the grow houses are pretty high. Its like anything else you get what you pay for. Take a chance. It's not worth it. I would imagine you have to spread it out on something and look at it before buying something like this. This is kind of like how most people don't care about what they eat. They just buy things and eat it. Don't care about the source or how it came to pass.