An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Controlling Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by crc3thebest, Dec 22, 2015.

1. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Negative thoughts can be a crucifix for those trying to overcome an addiction. My favorite thing to do is look in the mirror and tell myself "your the best". By doing this, I am able to build a positive inner vibe that helps me throughout my day. Has anyone used any similar techniques? If so, how effective are they in your individual development?
    MrsJones and kassie1234 like this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I haven't tried this myself but I have heard of others doing it - they often say that you feel a bit goofy/silly to start with, but that it has actually helped them -- and eventually that they believed what they were saying! I guess if it works for some people then there is no harm trying it, we all need to be kinder on ourselves and remind ourselves of the good qualities we have!
    MrsJones and crc3thebest like this.
  3. crc3thebest

Great post! If you only knew of the opportunities that have arisen by using this method.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think I really might have to give it a try! Any positivity in life is good, right? And self esteem has to come from myself! :)
    crc3thebest and MrsJones like this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's actually a great idea. As for me, every time I wake up in the morning, I would always tell myself, "It's going to be a great day" just to set a positive vibe. It won't hurt to do it anyway, just a daily mantra, and motivation.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  6. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I think in this regard meditation is a great skill to have. Forces you to be centered, forces you to gain control over your mental and physical self. Plus the discipline gained from implementing a practice will also boost your self-esteem and ability to focus.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  7. crc3thebest

Great insight!
    Scooby Snack likes this.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have never told myself that I am the best, as I have always tried to be realistic. I have told myself that I am able to do anything I wished and that helped me in reaching my goals. You have to think positive in order to attract positive energies. For six months I have been suppressing my sorrow and channeling my energy into brighter thoughts instead. And I can say that my life has changed a lot.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I haven't tried this but a number of people have suggested to me. I know people who have found it worked for them. I have a hard time looking in mirrors. I don't really like the person that looks back at me..I am slowly working on loving myself. Everything takes time.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I do that as well from time to time. I think that it's a great way to feel good about yourself and boost your confidence and self-esteem. I think that talking and motivating yourself can be effective to some extent.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's not that easy to control your thoughts.. in fact, it takes a really long time to build a different mindset and equally long to feel embellished by it. I motivate myself everyday though, I guess that's my way of building a positive mindset.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think people allow themselves to be miserable for no good reasons.

When I was ill recently, I learned one very important thing. There's so much we should be grateful for. Good health, a home, friends and more. When you have all that why should negative thoughts get you down? Previously the way I fought negative thoughts was by reminding myself there was someone somewhere in the world who was dealing with more problems than me but from the time I recovered I created a "gratitude list" and that is what helps me repel negative thoughts.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  13. crc3thebest

Definitely love your comment! Controlling our thoughts takes a lot of time and effort. For this reason, it is imperative to manage them on a day to day basis using various techniques. Thanks for your comment!
    Rainman likes this.
  14. crc3thebest

Your totally right! The foundation in which we build our thoughts is crucial in staying positive.
  15. crc3thebest

I am glad the method is working for you. keep it up!
  16. crc3thebest

Everything does take time to be established. I hope all is well!
  17. crc3thebest

I am glad for your success. You have truly found a way to embellish a better life.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice to know that such approached works for you. :)
    The mind is too powerful and our thoughts could make or break us as it can be the reality for us. So it is important to control our thoughts.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

We should never be swayed by other people's thoughts. If we feel that we have failed then we are likely to rely on what our friends think about us. We must live positively and avoid the negative mind. We can do it by evaluating any positive project that we have managed. We should also not be idle since an idle mind is the devil's workshop.
  20. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

Yes, I do the same thing. And it tends to work most of the time. Controlling our thoughts is the most important thing we can do. Get in the habit of dismissing any negative thought that comes into your head. Repeating positive things like you mentioned is a good for two reasons. First, you are saying something positive and empowering. And, you are blocking out any negative thoughts that may be trying to come in.