An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Convince mom to stop?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kianthras, May 25, 2015.

1. kianthras

kianthras Member

My mother has been a fairly heavy smoker for about 35 years. She has stopped for short periods of time here and there, but hasn't been able to keep it up. She's tried Champix, nicotine patches, and just sheer will, but nothing has really helped her to quit. She also has an eCig that she uses on occasion, though not as often as she probably should. Admittedly she has toned down quite a bit but I still worry about her, especially now that she is getting older.

Recently she's taken to watching the hockey games that are on instead of going for her afternoon smoke break, and goes on walks instead of some of her smoke breaks at work.

Along those lines, aside from offering moral support, is there anything concrete I can do to help out? I try and make sure she has a quiet place to go to relax so that she has a non-stressful area, and I occasionally go on walks with her. But what else can I do for her?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When anybody is trying to quit an addiction, there's not a great deal other people can do apart from support that person. It's got to be down to the individual to finally break the habit, all you can do is be there for her if she needs you, just for moral support.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Sorry to say it, but this is and will always be her call. Not much you can do for her, because nagging doesn't work all, but you can keep on motivating her. But in the endv everything depends on her, sadly some people have a harder time quitting an addiction, and tend to relapse, she seems to be that kind of persons, but that doesn't mean she can't make it. She can, but she must really want it...
  4. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

Its really warming to know to what extent your willing to go to get her to stop ,my dad is a heavy smoker ever since i saw him as a child , ,i think its not the nicotine addiction we need to look at its the underlying stress which one feels from life and people who smoke heavy it is the perfect escape route
    and it becomes a physical thing which they can manifest there stress into ..so try to get to the root of the problem and start from the bottom
  5. InquiringMind

InquiringMind Member

I am in the same boat as you. My mother has smokes all of my life and most of hers. We have tried everything. I even have memories of hiding her packs around the house so she would have to ask me for one every time. Patches, gum, suckers, you name it. Nothing worked. The one time she did quit for 8 months she used lobellia. It's an herbal calmer, but apparently that didn't stick either. The worst part is that the smoking is bad for her heart, and the stress of quitting is bad for her heart. The best results we had were when I kept a fire going in our out door fireplace. As long as she had some good wood smoke to breathe daily she felt great. Her smoking was down to 2 a day. Sitting by a fire every night might help.
  6. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

If everything else failed convincing your mom to quit smoking, then I think you should ask help from a professional, like a doctor or something. That is the safest path to follow in my opinion.