An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Coping with depression and anxiety

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by spiritbear, Mar 9, 2015.

1. spiritbear

spiritbear Member

Hi everyone. I am currently 24 years old and trying to get help with alcohol abuse. I often find myself drinking too much, using the excuse that I need to "de-stress". I am a generally anxious person and for the past 8 years, I have been using alcohol as a crutch to help me "get through life."

At first I only drank at parties as a social lubricant, but over time I started to drink even when I was at home by myself. I started to use alcohol to "numb" my feelings of low self-worth, to "cure" my generalized anxiety, and to distract myself from my depression. I started to think of drinking as medicine and something I needed.

Since a year ago, I have been drinking every day. Sometimes I am "good" and only have 1-2 drinks after work, and other times I binge drink.

I'm sure that my drinking has made me more depressed and exacerbated my problems. I lost a few friendships because I was too lost in my own world to maintain them. I have also missed work due to drinking too much the night before.

About a year ago I tried to quit on my own using the "cold turkey" method. I didn't succeed and kept lapsing back into my old habits. Now I am trying to seek counselling and support. I am not sure where to turn, so I have started by making an appointment to see a GP. I am hoping they will be able to refer me to a counselor or psychiatrist.

I'm really not sure what will happen or what the process of officially quitting will be like, which is why I have joined this forum. I look forward to reading your posts and meeting kindred spirits who are also on the road to recovery.
  2. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Welcome Spiritbear. I hope this forum turns out to be the catalyst you have been looking for. You have a goal and here is where you will be encouraged to achieve that goal. You said that sometimes you are "good" when drinking less. I am optimistic that with help from your doctor and this new community you will be "great" and free of your addiction.

Welcome again.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello Spiritbear! :)

I am glad to know that you have finally come to realize that you need to pull yourself together now. Once you set your mind and heart onto something, I think there's no way you cannot overcome and achieve it. The journey towards recovery is not going to be easy, but we are here to help you through that. Just don't give up on this goal. Have a great life! ;)
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello Spiritbear and welcome to the forum! Courage, drive and strength of spirit are what you need to overcome your alcohol problems. The psychiatrist/counselor may offer you options but at the end of the day, you will be the one to decide how ready you are. So are you ready to recover? How much are you willing to give to end your alcohol addition? Your answers will ultimately become your reality.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I am glad to read that you are seeking help. Getting to the root cause of your anxiety and low self esteem will be so beneficial - once you know why you feel the way you do, you will be able to develop coping strategies that don't involve alcohol.
  6. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Getting help is definitely the first and most important/difficult step that there is. We are all proud of you here. If you need any help or advice from any of us, just ask. Going to therapy and just having levelheaded conversations with different people about what the root cause of your depression and anxiety is extremely helpful. Good luck!
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it is a good thing that you have tried changing and still trying to find a solution for your drinking problem. I hope that you can find good people or support there that will really helped you. Keep yourself motivated in finding the solution.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think you should also get out more and socialize even if you have social anxiety to keep your mind off alcohol to replace the friends that you lost. I'm glad that you took the first step in changing your life and wanting to do something about your alcohol addiction. I hope everything will turn out well. Feel free to share your ups and downs in forums like these because we are ready to listen. Good luck!
  9. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Hey, it's nice to hear from you.I went through an almost identical thing when I was drinking. I needed it to de stress, celebrate, relax,keep calm. Getting help is a huge step in the right direction and you clearly want to initiate changes. They should be able to refer you and get right to the root of things. Best of luck and stay strong, this seems like a very friendy place to get guidance so you're in good hands.
  10. jon

jon Active Contributor

That's the reason that I started drinking. I thought that it would be a good way to deal with stress because it was legal. I found out different.
  11. Jeff

Jeff Member

I've definitely been there.

Dude, the fact that you're 24 is great.
    I've never used counselling, or a psychiatrist, so I can't say much about it.
    But if you feel that you need to, dude, don't feel in anyway ashamed about it.
    I think you also need to figure out what needs to be treated. The drinking problem, or the depression issues?

What I do know is this: You have to go full Tony Montana on this... Don't postpone it, don't make it less than what it is, and don't take crap from anyone.
    This is where you are, and you have the right to change your life in anyway you want.

Hope this message finds you well.
    Feel free to PM me if you need help with anything.
  12. jon

jon Active Contributor

Try to make friends that don't drink, and don't stay by yourself to much is the advice one of my friends is telling me to give to you. That's what worked for them , and hopefully it will help you.
  13. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Try reading a book called The Ultra Mind Solution. That book will probably answer every question you have about anxiety and depression. The book may not be able to completely help you, because you are also struggling with the alcohol problem, but this book should easily point you in the right direction. I know it has for others I know.