An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Coping with Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by kevinkimers, Dec 3, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Did you know that there are simple little things you can do that can help you handle the withdrawals just a little easier. Studies have shown that those who pick up simple hobbies such as sewing, baking, cooking, or knitting (for example), showed a significant difference in coping then those who did not. Of course those that were in the study were also on medications to help lessen the withdrawal, but it is interesting how keeping yourself busy can help you to keep from relapsing.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Keeping yourself engaged in some creative or productive activity is one of the main ingredients towards long lasting sobriety. Not just do you keep yourself busy, but you might also find out about hidden talents that you possess. You can keep building on that, turning yourself into a totally different person... the person that you were always meant to be. :)
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, it definitely helps. I know it's what I turn to whenever I need to keep myself off of temptation on my less healthier hobbies. Fr example, if I feel the need to smoke then I'd maybe try putting it off until I have finished one activity which often takes so long that I eventually forget about my craving.
  4. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

My uncle, when he was trying to withdraw from alcohol, had become so irritable and he experienced tremors. What he did was get himself into a physical exercise routine. It also helped that he started a small business that he's been enjoying until now. So these two activities made him calm down and forget what he had to deal with during his withdrawal stage. Now, he is not 100% alcohol-free but he has lessened his intake. He does not get drunk anymore.
  5. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I can't remember who said this but I remember hearing someone once say that addiction is 85% mental and 15% physical. If you take care of the mental, it usually helps with the physical to. I don't know HOW true that is, but it has been my experience that when overcoming anything... if you occupy the mind the body does not react as badly to the withdrawal.
  6. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

All that irritableness and anger that people feel when they want something they can't have, if channeled into another activity can prove to be extremely beneficial to them. For example, if someone suffering from withdrawal symptoms takes up a physically demanding job, they would turn all their feelings onto their work and be way too exhausted to even think about their addiction. Even if they took up something less demanding, like gardening, it is something to keep your mind off it.
  7. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Withdrawal can be a huge obstacle on the journey to sobriety. The mental agony and the physical symptoms and pain often deter or derail people from their treatment because they are not prepared to handle it. I really think that those trying to recover really do some soul searching to try and find something that gives them joy and peace - something to look forward to - that gives them meaning and purpose that will help distract and deter them from substance abuse.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have found that calming activities work best when you are trying to control withdrawal symptoms. For me, it is, I get stressed out and feel the need to smoke. When I sew or do something relaxing, u can go hours without a cigarette.