An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Cost of Rehab

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by amr13, Apr 5, 2016.

1. amr13

amr13 Member

My sister needs a inpatient rehabilitation center but I am finding it hard to make a decision. She is covered through medicaid for a state program but after speaking with a rehabilitation intake coordinator, she informed me that the state programs are not as effective. I liked speaking with her and she was very knowledgeable about drug addiction, her being a former addict herself. The issue is the place she is recommending is 33,000 dollars. I am aware that some rehabs are expensive and some tend to be even luxurious but I wanted to know if this price is reasonable? Also, does anyone have experience with the state programs? Are they as bad as she says? If they are, does anyone know of a good rehab that is less money, maybe 10,000 dollars?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@amr13... That price is not unusual for a residential treatment facility. Unfortunately, residential rehabs are, for the most part, very expensive. I replied to your post on another thread and said that you may want to try using the Treatment Services Locator tool on the SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) website. If you put in your zip code, then use the filters in the search box that pops up on the next page, you may be able to find a treatment facility that has a sliding scale. Those places charge based on a person's ability to pay. Also, there are some free treatment facilities out there. I'm pretty sure the Salvation Army offers free treatment. Here's the link to the SAMHSA website: http://www.samhsa.gov
  3. amr13

amr13 Member

Thank you and I will look into that. I am worried that some of the free treatment centers are not good but I might stop by some local centers to get a feel for them. I will look into the sliding scale as well and hopefully we can find an appropriate facility for her.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Residential programs are usually much more expensive than state programs. But the figure of $33,000 is quite high. It is always noble to offer a loved one the best but at reasonable cost. I have a brother who we took to a govt rehab and I have to admit that they are not anywhere near excellent. But the amenity section is quite good and cost effective.
  5. amr13

amr13 Member

Thank you! Do you happen to know a decent residential program that is less than 33,000? Even by word of mouth? I have looked in St. Judes recovery for drug addicts but I have not received a phone call back.