An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Could natural vitamins replace some prescription drugs.

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Tsky45, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Most people who are into holistic healing know that there are natural plant based cures out there. Most ailments are a result of some deficiency and vitamins can be helpful. To avoid addictive harmful drugs vitamins could be a option for certain ailments. What if doctors prescribed natural plant based pills for ailments instead of the regular pharmaceutical pills does any one think this could be a breakthrough in medicine?
  2. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

In our culture we have a therapeutic system called Ayurveda which uses plants based medicine. Most of the medicines in Ayurveda are developed from plants (leaf, root, stem, fruit, flower etc.) The only problem of this system is it takes time to heal.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is better if doctors will try to first prescribed those plant based medications or natural healing. But I think it will also depends if in which doctor you will have a consultation as some doctors might just prefer prescribing the manufactured or synthetic drugs while some are more into the more natural ways.
  4. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

No way. There may be some things that can help an addiction, but it definitely can't cure it. Otherwise, people would have been long time cured from their problems. I know that this is one of the things the conspirationists like to tell, but it's simply not true. Herbal treatments are effective, but mainly for some physical diseases.
  5. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I'm a skeptic on this. Although I have many issues with the pharmaceutical industry, putting your faith in alternative remedies is rarely a good road to go down. And vitamins on their own wont do anything good for you - the opposite in fact, as high doses of vitamin A and E can actually severely damaging health effects on an individual.
  6. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I am also rather skeptical of this.