An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Could smoking tobacco become illegal?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Jan 7, 2016.

1. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I do not think outlawing it would work, what they need to do is try and regulate it further.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I could see it becoming illegal.
    The way things are going that is a reasonable outcome.
    Things that are illegal now, used to be legal (spousal abuse, cocaine.)
    Time will tell!
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I don't think smoking would be illegal, however, smoking in public places could be illegal. Actually, smoking in public places such as school, bus stop, part, street is punishable by law in my home country. Penalties include cash penalty as well as being thrown into prison.
  4. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Smoking cigarettes will be probably banned in more and more public places, but I highly doubt that tobacco will ever become illegal. There is to much money involved in the tobacco industry. If anything they might make cigarettes a little less toxic, but perhaps a little bit more addictive so that more people will consume them. Also if you think about it, due to the health repercussions that tobacco brings, the tobacco industry is aiding the pharmaceutical industry, and that is another huge industry titan. They're buddies.
  5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I don't think that tobacco will become illegal. Just look at the fact we want Marijuana legal for recreational use. We just have to be sure it's just isn't carelessly blown in people's faces like pregnant women. That's why we have all those no smoke signs if you don't want smoking there.
  6. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

It already is illegal in some states. The trouble is the more people will want to smoke, the more politicians will be involved in tobacco businesses. This is why it's almost impossible to ban tobacco.
  7. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

So much money is made every year for the sale of tobacco products and I don't think the billionaires that own the industry will ever let it go down. I agree with @111kg as far as politicians being involved for sure. I just think they're only puppets on string when it comes to the big picture.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@111kg... Wait. I'm 99.99% sure that there aren't any states that have made smoking tobacco illegal. If I'm wrong, though, please tell me.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Being from a Tobacco state I would say no. Tobacco is big business here...and not having it would deeply cut into the profits of small stores. I think a replacement product would have to be found. However, we are moving toward a smokeless society and it may become so expensive at some point that people will not bother.
  10. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

I don't think there are either. The only place I know of that has a smoking Ban is California and it's only on the streets I think. I'm researching it now
  11. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Smoking becoming illegal? I honestly cannot picture that happening. Looking at the current trend, it may become unacceptable by social standards, but being considered illegal is another thing entirely. Just look at the alcohol ban in the 20's.
  12. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Sorry. It was something else I read about.

Here are some of the smoking regulations, but I doubt this article is updated every time something changes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans

PS: the Constitutional Court of Romania decided yesterday that the law that bans public smoking in all the public enclosed spaces is constitutional and is only one step away from being adopted.
    rEEzytheKiD likes this.
  13. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This makes sense, if a complete and utter ban was done it would be all over the news and would be the topic of conversation when ever smokers would get together.
  14. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Why is is that most of my friends are angry on the politicians for banning the public smoking insider restaurants, clubs and all the indoors public spaces? It's stupid, honestly. It's for their own good.
  15. tomservo

tomservo Member

I live in a city, and even more specifically a neighborhood, where smoking tobacco is almost completely socially unacceptable and everywhere you step, there are "no smoking" signs. I cannot stress how heavily it is frowned upon. Do people still smoke? YEP. Do gas stations and convenient stores still sell cigs? YEP. Will smoking ever be illegal? Probably not in our lifetimes, if ever.
  16. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

I don't think that tobacco will ever become illegal, as the governments of every country heavily benefit from tobacco sales. That being said, even if it were to be made illegal, not much would change, just that such prohibition would make the tobacco sales go to the black market.

People will be willing to pay more for the same drug, as not everyone will want or will be able to quit, and thus making criminals richer.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I doubt it ever will, after all a lot companies depend on their earnings from this kind of product. So yes I doubt this will ever happen. So much to lose, those tobacco companies would never allow this to happen. Maybe in an alternative universe ;)
  18. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I think it should be illegal given the amount of chemicals it has in it. It is unbelievable to think that the government lets this be sold and collect tax on this knowing there are that many disease and illnesses connected to it. It is addictive and it not only causes disease in the one smoking it, it also causes issues with anyone who comes in contact with breathing the second hand smoke. If marijuana was legal, would there be as many warnings of people getting cancer from it? Would there be this many people addicted to marijuana as there are to tobacco.
  19. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

Yes I believe regulation is the way to go. It would be one thing if it was just a natural plant like marijuana but the companies that make cigarettes make sure to add in hundreds of ingredients to make it as habit forming as possible. They are doing this to cannabis now with new growing techniques and big companies are already producing genetically modified weed which will likely become the most addicting substance known to man. I don't think any big corporations should have the power they do to add whatever they want into them. To make it illegal would be silly just like making any kind of rule.