An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Could telling the dr about past drug abuse could that stop me joining a profession?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by jutabraonl, Jul 9, 2015.

1. jutabraonl

jutabraonl Member

I am thinking of training to be a teacher or a fireman but am worried if i tell the doctor i think im suffering from depression due to past substance abuse, i have a fear it will come back to bite me in the butt! Some people do have access to your medical records dont they?
  2. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

I have suffered from depression for years, druggie mother children's homes rapped three times. I used drugs for many years, all sorts from Hash to Heroin. My doctors records showed drug abuse and suicide attempts. After many years of effort in changing my life I became a Police Office for 10 years. Your medical records are private. Go for your goal. During my 10 year term I had a severe relapse and was put on anti depressants and anxiety medication this too remained between me and my doctor.

I have since left the"job" but no one is the wiser with my past or problems.
  3. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I can't speak for being a fireman, but I worked as a teacher for quite a few years. Employers can't access your medical records without your consent so there is no way they would know about your past use or depression issues. As long as you can pass a drug test, you should be in the clear as far as being a teacher.
    Fireman...I think they might be more apt to fine out about things.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Only certain people can access your medical records and even then its only with your consent. If you think that something might stand in your way of getting a particular job, then it might be wise to ask the question before applying.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most young people use drugs at some point in their lives but many of them leave their past behind them. You don't have to tell your doctor that your depression is a consequence of drug use. If you've battled and overcome your addiction then let the past remain buried. Just tell your doctor you are depressed. Talk not about drug use.

Pursue your dreams. Obama abused marijuana back in time but he still got to be president.
  6. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

It couldn't come back to bite you without your consent most of the time. Even a government related jobs which so far in my experience are the ones who usually run these types of checks. Like the above poster said "let the past be the past" and move on. You should be fine.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I try not to talk about the things that might affect me if a third party finds out. You just never know, I have heard in most countries they require your consent, but if you are asked about it, what are you going to say? No, I don't give you my consent? Then a lot questions will come... in the end you might not get the job because of that, they will think you have something to hide.
  8. juno

juno Community Champion

Medical records never go away, they are attainable in many ways in the US. It is best to tell the truth and hope for the best by displaying how together you are now. Other wise, if you withhold information and it some how comes out it makes you look bad overall, and you loose any chances you may have had if you told the truth.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't see anything wrong with telling your doctor about your depression, but just to be safe, don't mention your past substance abuse. I don't think you need a reason to be depressed. It is normal, everyone goes through that, and I think your doctor would understand that.

Best of luck with achieving your goals in life! :)
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

For the most part that information is private. You shouldn't be held back because of a medical condition or information.
    BUT think of it this way, getting help, getting clean (sound like you already are though) and overcoming mental health challenges will do WAY more for your career then not getting help. You will be in a better place and able to perform better in your field.
  11. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

It could effect the fireman position, possibly. As far as being a teacher, I was a teacher for five years and my primary care doctor knew everything about my past addiction issues. For that job, as long as you don't have an active addiction, I don't think you have to worry.
    As far as the depression - same thing.
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I agree with others, let the past be buried. I hope you get whatever jon it is you are persuing. I bet there are plenty of people who have abused drugs in the past and still got into a profession.
  13. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

I would assume that whoever you get counsel from would be keeping your records confidential. Then again, whether or not your employer has access to such information, they will use their discretion in deciding if you get the job. So it really depends on who will be your employer.
  14. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

Is the same thing I am saying. Just don't be worried. For some people, if you don't have an addiction problem, It's not a problem for them to hire you.
  15. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

Where I live, medical and counselling sessions and the information gathered in them are strictly confidential. The only time they are shared are the following: if the doctor or counselor think you are going to harm yourself, or someone else, if you are talking about committing a major crime or planning on destroying someone else's property, if the records are ordered by a court of law to be entered into the available information to determine guilt or fitness to parent etc. So, no, I do not think that they would be able to access your medical or counseling records unless you gave them written permission to do so. And even if you were to give them permission to see your medical records to check your immunization record for example, that is all they would be allowed to check into. I personally would not voluntarily disclose that I had a problem with substances. For one thing it is in the past and does not affect my current ability to work so why should I discuss it? If people need to be afraid that records of this type are going to become public reading, no one will ever seek out help. These confidentiality rules are in place so people can feel free to get the help that they need rather than suppress it out of fear of others finding out. My own mother couldn't access certain things about me while I was still young enough to be in her care.

If your substance use issues are far enough in the past that they are not affecting you now, they shouldn't be part of the criteria that gets you a job or not. Once you have established yourself in a position, it is up to you what you disclose, the whole idea of potential employers having access to all that they do now is bad enough in my opinion. Soon they will want to know what type of breakfast cereal you eat regularly in order to get a job digging ditches. You never know, your choice may not have enough fiber in it to keep you regular enough for the job. (Bad sarcasm I know, but hey, its late and I'm tired--just taking a break from the grind of housework.
  16. L_B

L_B Community Champion

The past in the past and now that you have gotten yourself cleaned up then you shouldn't worry about it. Your medical records are private and there is nothing wrong with seeking out help for the depression that you are now suffering from. I am happy that you have taken control of your life and are focusing on a better future. All the best to you and one of my favorite quotes has always been "If you can dream it, you can do it." Just keep moving forward and don't worry about the past. Everybody has one!
  17. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I don't think anyone can access your past medical records without your consent. I do think though that you should still tell your doctor about your depression. It's important to let him know about your condition so that he can refer you to a therapist or counsellor. You will also be more ready for a job if you are fully recovered from mind to your physical body. After all, it's hard to focus on your career when you have some issue that is not yet resolved. Best of luck in whatever career you choose!
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't know if people will try to access your medical records. If you have been committed to a hospital for mental health issues that would be something that could hinder you. I don't know if suffering from depression in your past is really a security threat to the school or students if you don't have a violent history. If no one ask you about this you don't have to mention it. Still this doesn't seem like something that should concern them unless you've been committed or arrested because of it.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Medical records have been put on microfilm in the past and then destroyed after a certain number of years in hospitals. I think it is 5 years. Individual doctors have different methods of filing. They could be the same or just use paper files. Mostly they have just gone by what a person says for past history. It seems now that they are attempting to link all the medical file dots for individuals. Most will be using computers and storing that way.
    It's up to you whether or not you talk about past history. Remember thats what it is, HISTORY.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's one of the things that I think sucks about the world and prevents people asking for help - because they are worried about the repercussions of what might happen if they confide in someone about their drug use or any mental health concerns. It's sad that the fear of future repercussions puts people off from seeking help!